CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thumbs up Changes in a listbox

Hello buddies

I have a listbox whose items are added at runtime, How can I detect any new changes in the list of items ? (ie item label has been edited, new items are added etc esp after I have save all items information into a text file)

Thank you

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Changes in a listbox

Wouldn't it be your code that's doing the changing?

Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF View Post
    Wouldn't it be your code that's doing the changing?
    If you don't have a ****ing right answer to make then don't

Quote Originally Posted by SaltedTamago View Post
    It was actually a reasonable question, and that kind of attitude doesn't work here.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

This type of response isn't going to be tolerated here - keep it up and you'll find you have a short stay on this forum.

At any rate, GCDEF's question is reasonable. His point is that since you are in charge of add items to the list, presumably you would know when the items have been changed.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

I have a listbox whose items are added at runtime, How can I detect any new changes in the list of items ? (ie item label has been edited, new items are added etc esp after I have save all items information into a text file)
    1. You cannot "edit" item label in the listbox. You can, however, delete an item and insert/add another one.
    2. You cannot add new items into listbox without using (direct or indirect) LB_INSERTSTRING or LB_ADDSTRING message in the code.

So I have to agree with GCDEF and Arjay
    Victor Nijegorodov

In my opinion that kind of attitude doesn't work anywhere.
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by
    definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan

To enhance your chance's of getting an answer be sure to read
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/announ...nouncementid=6
    and http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366302 before posting

Refresh your memory on formatting tags here
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Get your free MS compiler here
    https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs

I am surprised you understood his point, if that WAS the point then it should have been stated in his very first post, but then the explanation doesn't actually work anyway. Please limit your account numbers with pushy and poppy chats

BTW, editing my own code to tell the world I am PROFESSIONAL seems always flawed

I am surprised you understood his point,
    I understood GCDEF's point quite well. So you tell us, what did you think he meant?

His point was quite clear. The only way a listbox changes is if your program changes it. Since it is your program changing it, then you know exactly when the listbox changed.
    Code:
    void ChangeListBox()
    {
        AddOrRemoveItemsFromMyListBox();
        DoStuffBecauseListBoxChanged();
    }
    That, on a high-level is what would be expected to solve your problem and exactly what GCDEF was referring to.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

I am surprised you understood his point, if that WAS the point then it should have been stated in his very first post, but then the explanation doesn't actually work anyway.
    Generally speaking you get more elaborate responses if you provide more context. Your first post provided no context whatsoever. Hence, the only sensible response is something along the lines of what GCDEF posted. If you don't get the kind of help you expected, then you probably made that impossible by leaving out some vital information, because I think you can see that people here are more than willing to help you (even after your ill-mannered post).
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKenzie View Post
    I understood GCDEF's point quite well. So you tell us, what did you think he meant?

His point was quite clear. The only way a listbox changes is if your program changes it. Since it is your program changing it, then you know exactly when the listbox changed.
    Code:
    void ChangeListBox()
    {
        AddOrRemoveItemsFromMyListBox();
        DoStuffBecauseListBoxChanged();
    }
    That, on a high-level is what would be expected to solve your problem and exactly what GCDEF was referring to.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Thanks. Seemed clear enough considering the muddle that was the OP. I'm not sure what the relationship is between saving data in a text file and editing labels in a list box, whatever that means. Until the OP asks a question that makes sense, detailed answers aren't possible.

I have only dealt with a simple dialog with a listbox, where on earth other stuff appear and become related is really really bullshits. Ok through introduction to my program ? then for what ? if those are not parts of the related supply chain, then they wont definitely, EXCEPT changes to code to get my program compiled.
    I don't even need to work with this program to get it compiled anymore, persistent request means begging. There are still bunches of stuff, from small to big I need to consider.
    What a regret I have spent time and money on this!
    I forget my midnight and breakfast food. Never known of this. Thanks D_Drmmr for your reminds