CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Reset dwDesiredAccess

Hello all,

I am detecting deletion of files on the system and to do this i am hooking the NtSetInformationFile function. this gets passed to it the file handle, and from this i need the file name. so i am using the API GetFileInformationByHandleEx to get the file name, But the problem is that the file name comes like this "\sample\a.txt", Now this doesn't give me device name(\device\volume) with File name, so i cannot assume from where the file has been accessed, It could be "C:\sample\a.txt" or "D:\sample\a.txt".

So it's quite clear that i must have "\Device\volume0", "\Device\volume1" etc before the filename, Further googling took me to THIS page where the file name can be retrieved from FileHandle, This uses CreateFileMapping, MapViewOfFile, GetMappedFileName, GetLogicalDriveStrings and QueryDosDevice to retrieve the file name, But when i use it CreateFileMapping fail with error 5 which is "Access Denied", Some more google and i found that the file handle must have GENERIC_READ access else CreateFileMapping will fail.

Now i'm not opening the file, explorer is.. So how could i check with which access explorer opens or access the file or how could i change the dwDesiredAccess..

Thanks All..

Re: Reset dwDesiredAccess

As GetFileInformationByHandleEx won't give me the device name, I'm using GetFileInformationByHandle to get the volume number and hopefully compare the number with drive manually.. But the dwVolumeSerialNumber reurns some garbage value..

Code:
    BY_HANDLE_FILE_INFORMATION info;
    DWORD dwSerialNumber = 0;

if(GetFileInformationByHandle(FileHandle, &info) != 0)
    {
    	dwSerialNumber = info.dwVolumeSerialNumber;
    	swprintf(szTemp, L"The Volume Serial Number = %d", info.dwVolumeSerialNumber);
    	MessageBox(NULL, szTemp, L"Success", MB_OK);
    }
    else
    {
    	swprintf(szTemp, L"GetFileInformationByHandle Error = %d", GetLastError());
    	MessageBox(NULL, szTemp, L"Success", MB_OK);
    }

Why do you think that this is a garbage value? It's a serial number.

Viggy

The number is coming like -53476234 , 393765 etc

What are the serial numbers on your drive? Or, more specifically, the drive that contains this file?

Viggy

I think it's done, I don't know if it's ugly...

I used GetFileInformationByHandleEx to get the truncated file name, GetFileInformationByHandle to get the volume serial number, GetLogicalDriveStrings to get all the drives and GetVolumeInformation to get the volume serial number of all the drives, I then compare volume serial number returned by GetVolumeInformation and GetFileInformationByHandle, If it matches then it concatenate the drive letter with the truncated file name returned by GetFileInformationByHandleEx...

@All, Can i do it in other way also??