CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

unable to start program

Hello,
    I'm a beginning programmer and I'm trying to compile a simple program but I get the following error:

"Unable to start program 'C:\Users\mhollida\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\holaMundo\Debug\holaMundo.exe'.

The system cannot find the file specified."

I checked the file path in the error and there was no .exe file there. I did a search from the start menu to see if there was a program by that name anywhere and the search came up empty so I'm assuming that no .exe file was created. I'm not sure why it wouldn't create a .exe file since it said the program was compiled successfully.

I'm running a program that my professor successfully compiled and ran in class so I don't think it's a problem with the program itself. I'm not sure what information is relevant to solving this problem, so I'll recount exactly what I did:

1)I opened visual c++ and created an empty project (just like the professor).
    2)I clicked on the "Source Files" folder on the Solution Navigator and created a new C++ class.
    3)I pasted the program into the folder and pressed F7. It then said that the build succeeded.
    4)When I pressed F5 (I also tried Debug--Start Debugging from the top menu) and I got the aforementioned error.

I'm not sure what to do at this point and I hope this is just some stupid beginner mistake that I'm making that someone can point out.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Re: unable to start program

Hi,

What you are seeing is normal for an empty project. When you create an empty project, it's exactly that, nothing is included or set up. VS doesn't know whether you're going to create a DLL, a library, an executable or something else. You would need to define all those things yourself, so it's not an easy way to start.

If you have source code for a program, it will have a main program already defined, something like main(), _tmain(), or WinMain(). Do you have something like that?

If you just want to create a simple program from scratch, I suggest starting with a Win32 console app rather than an empty project.

Alan

Am getting the same error. In my program i have WinMain()
    How can i solve the problem. Please help me sort out the problem.

Did you try doing a "Rebuild All"
    Jim
    ATP BE400 CE500 (C550B-SPW) CE560XL MU300 CFI CFII

"The speed of non working code is irrelevant"... Of course that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."...Calvin Coolidge 30th President of the USA.

in this you commented "What you are seeing is normal for an empty project. When you create an empty project, it's exactly that, nothing is included or set up. VS doesn't know whether you're going to create a DLL, a library, an executable or something else. You would need to define all those things yourself, so it's not an easy way to start. "
    my question is how to define all those things. Please elaborate.

hey alanjhd08
    in this you commented "What you are seeing is normal for an empty project. When you create an empty project, it's exactly that, nothing is included or set up. VS doesn't know whether you're going to create a DLL, a library, an executable or something else. You would need to define all those things yourself, so it's not an easy way to start. "
    my question is how to define all those things. Please elaborate.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

just use App Wizard to create a new project you need.
    Victor Nijegorodov

i wanna know what all dll,libraries and exe files i have to create for that

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by carlitobrigante View Post
    i wanna know what all dll,libraries and exe files i have to create for that
    Create for what?
    You haven't described your *own* problem yet. What exactly would you like to do? What type of project are you trying to create or dealing with?
    Victor Nijegorodov