CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Where is this window coming from?

Hi there, I'm new to C++ and am using Visual Studio 2010 Professional. I've been using dialog based apps until now, and have a reasonable understanding of how they work, but now I need to make an app that handles multiple items at once. So the multiple documents application type seemed like a natural choice.

I am, however, having trouble figuring something out. After creating my first skeleton app it starts with a blank document open. However, I haven't figured out how it's opening that document, and I don't want the app to start with an open document.

My skeleton project was created by making the following selections (only specifying changes from the default):
    MFC app (let's name it skeleton)
    then:
    Multiple Document, uncheck tabs
    MFC Standard project style
    then: finish

Now, if I go into the skeletonView.cpp file that was created for me, and set a breakpoint in it's constructor, I can see that it's being called from:
    if (!ProcessShellCommand(cmdInfo))
    in skeletonApp::InitInstance(). But that's about all I can figure out so far. I can see where this skeletonView is being added to a template, and where the template is being added to the main window, but from my understanding this just lets the main window create instances of the view.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Arrow Re: Where is this window coming from?

Questions about MFC are better placed in the Visual C++ section. And BTW, there are a lot more people reading your question.

And, BTW again, much more people make this mistake the other way 'round: posting C++/CLI questions over there...

Re: Where is this window coming from?

Heh, sorry about that. I'll mark this thread as resolved I guess, and repost it there.