CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Projects helper

Smile Projects helper

Hello,

I finish installing VS10,
    I am going to graduate from college this October
    I also send my CV to some companies, I am a tad nervous
    I wonder how the real IT world will actually be, I wonder how a team works on a project especially if each member code differently.
    Will the project be completed on time as scheduled ?
    How to deal with different code style to finally make up the whole unified program ?
    If one person is assumed to code task e.g taskA and he can't finish it after everyone else has come to finish or nearly finish AND his code messes up everything, what should other do then when the deadline is sooo close ?

I'd love to hear how you explain all such questions/my wonders. I am grateful.

If anyone has any projects on the way, please PM me, I'd like to get involved TO understand the real project. I have been learning MFC for 2 years, C# for 1/2 years and VB for 3 months, I can use MS SQL with C#, VB

Thank you

Re: Projects helper

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Will the project be completed on time as scheduled ?
    Which project? This question doesn't make sense in general, only for a specific project.
    How to deal with different code style to finally make up the whole unified program ?
    You adapt your style to what the company prescribes or what is common. If you don't agree with certain rules/conventions, you can lobby to change the them, but until they are changed you abide by them.

When you just start your career, these kind of things are really not your concern (yet). Just go with the flow and try to make yourself as useful to others as you can. Once you have gained some experience, it's useful to read some books on project management, but without experience that may actually be counterproductive. Focus on your programming skills first.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Re: Projects helper

Quote Originally Posted by D_Drmmr View Post
    You adapt your style to what the company prescribes or what is common. If you don't agree with certain rules/conventions, you can lobby to change the them, but until they are changed you abide by them.
    True, "adaptability" is an essence to get the job done in the first place, that also helps one to get away easily with responsibility.
    Adapting yourself doesn't mean losing yourself

When you just start your career, these kind of things are really not your concern (yet). Just go with the flow and try to make yourself as useful to others as you can. Once you have gained some experience, it's useful to read some books on project management, but without experience that may actually be counterproductive. Focus on your programming skills first.
    Yes, be smart, but never smartest, only smarter in some "blurring" cases, remind you that problems for bigger guys are not about coding but managerial works. Because you are smaller, so your problems aren't about managerial decisions