CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Application crashes under Windows 7

I am getting reports of the application that I write sporadically crashing under Windows 7 (more often than similar reports with XP). The program is configured to support memory addresses with the highest bit set to 1 because of the large data sets that are sometimes encountered. Has anyone got any experience of crashes happening (or happening more often) because of W7 features such as address space randomisation and what I should be looking for to fix them?

Re: Application crashes under Windows 7

I am getting reports of the application that I write sporadically crashing under Windows 7 (more often than similar reports with XP).
    So your program crashes anyway, only it crashes more under W7 ? In that case, start your debugger and fix your code.

Re: Application crashes under Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hain View Post
    I am getting reports of the application that I write sporadically crashing under Windows 7 (more often than similar reports with XP). The program is configured to support memory addresses with the highest bit set to 1 because of the large data sets that are sometimes encountered. Has anyone got any experience of crashes happening (or happening more often) because of W7 features such as address space randomisation and what I should be looking for to fix them?
    Good Windows programmers do not work this way when they get a crash, i.e. theorizing.

As Skizmo stated, debug and fix your code. When you actually see a call stack, variables, etc. when a crash happens, then and only then do you start making conclusions as to what has happened.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie