Using IFileDialog interface with VC 6.0
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums

Thread: Using IFileDialog interface with VC 6.0

Using IFileDialog interface with VC 6.0

I use VC 6.0 and I am trying to use the IFileDialog for the File Open and File Save actions. I was previously using the CFileDialog, however with a new change in Windows 7, it overrides the initial directory I set.

So, I would like to use the IFileOpenDialog interface which has been recommended so that I could still use the initial directory to what I want and not what was previously opened by the user.

It requires the inclusion of the header file ShObjIdl.h.

However, when I try to include that file, I get the following error message,

fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ShObjIdl.h': No such file or directory

Is there any SDK that I need to install so that I can make use of the interface

ovidiucucu is offline Moderator/Reviewer Power Poster
    Iasi - Romania

Re: Using IFileDialog interface with VC 6.0

First, you need a newer SDK. I have found ShObjIdl.h in Windows SDK version 6.1 (can be downloaded from Microsoft Download Center).
    Second, I'm not sure it can be used with old VC 6.0.
    Just do a tray and, if it's not possible, get Visual Studio 2005, 2008, or 2010.
    Last edited by ovidiucucu; September 14th, 2010 at 06:52 AM.
    Ovidiu Cucu
    "When in Rome, do as Romans do."
    My latest articles:

Re: Using IFileDialog interface with VC 6.0

I researched a bit more and it seems like February 2003 was the latest SDK to have support for VC 6.0. After a fair bit of searching, found the SDK for download here.

Anyway, after installation of this link and integrating the SDK with VC 6.0, could not get the ShObjIdl.h to work even though that file and its corresponding IDL ( ShObjIdl.idl) are present in the SDK.

THe only way left is to better to move forward with a newer version of VC.