CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Need help with a basic java program

Alright.. well i'm kind of stuck with a basic java program. Basically what i have to do is create a simple program where you put your earth age and the output would be your age on Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, and Saturn.

The formula i have to use is y = (x*365)/d

Where y is the age on the planet, x is your earth age, and d is the number of earth days it takes for the planet to travel around the sun.

Planet d= approx number of earth days for this planet to travel around the sun
    Mercury 88
    Venus 225
    Jupiter 4380
    Saturn 10767

I'm kind of stuck on this.. this is all i have so far

import java.util.*;
    import java.io.*;

public class Program1
    {

its not much at all.. i have no clue what to do next... any advice or help? Thank you.

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Need help with a basic java program

You need four variables to hold the day values for the planets, and you need a method that requests Earth age from the user and prints out the results of the formula for each of the planet day values.

We can't teach Java here, but we'll try to help people who make an effort and get stuck on something. You should be able to write simple Java programs, and if you can't, there are plenty of tutorials out there you can learn from. For example The Java Tutorials.

If you ask more specific questions, you'll get more specific answers, but don't expect people to write the code for you.

Learning how to learn is life's most important skill...
    T. Buzan
    Please use [CODE]...your code here...[/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.

Try tis code for ur plm...

public class Main {

public double comput(long x,long d)
    {
    double v= (x*365)/d;

return v;

}
    public static void main(String[] args) {
    long m= 88;
    long v =225;
    long j=4380;
    long s=10767;
    Main a=new Main();
    System.out.println("age of m is "+a.comput(200000,m));

}

}

u can also use args[0] and args[1] values. for user input

Try tis code for ur plm...
    Please don't use text speak. Many of the members here are not native English speakers and won't understand this. I am a native English speaker and I don't know for sure what 'ur plm' means (your problem?).

Also please don't just provide a chunk of code when people ask for help. Any of us can write such a simple bit of code and in less time than we take in helping people solve things for themselves but just providing code doesn't teach them anything.

Finally, if you are going to write code make sure it does what it's supposed to (or document where it differs from the request) and please post it in code tags
    Posting code? Use code tags like this: [code]...Your code here...[/code]
    Click here for examples of Java Code

always remember to close curly brackets too, and your program will need a "starting" method. Regardless of how clueless you are, your code should have looked like this

import java.util.*;
    import java.io.*;

public class Program1
    {

public static void main(String[] args){
    // insert code you learn from tutorials given here
    }

}

here's an amazing tutorial i used to teach myself java http://math.hws.edu/javanotes/