Then I call it in my main() program:

Code:
    for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
       function_one(Block[i]);
    The following is the definition of function_one();

Code:
    void function_one(Nodes Block[]) {
      Block[].number = 1;
    The problem is that I don't know how to make the above function definition take the array element that I am sending it when I call it. For example, if in the main() part, the for loop is evaluating i = 0, I thought the definition would take i = 0 as a parameter and evaluate Block[0].number = 1.

It doesn't. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Re: Call Array Member in function Help

Your function declaration and function definition do not match. Nodes Block is a single Nodes object while Nodes Block[] is an array of Nodes objects (of indefinite size). The way you call the function in main(), the declaration is right: You're passing Blocks[i] which is a single object, and you would have to access its sole member as Block.number inside the function.

BTW: Giving the array and the function parameter the same name is not really dextrous: It is likely to lead to confusion.

BTW II: Naming the struct type "Nodes" is misleading too, as the name is plural while it only contains a single item.

Ah, and... Welcome to CodeGuru!

Thank you for the reply and the warm welcome Eri523!

Your BTW's are spot on. The reason I named them like this are for clarity in my post. The names are not like this in my program. I guess my attempt for clarity was not clear. Ha!

Anyway, I have changed my definition to match the declaration like you suggested. Mainly:

Code:
    void function_one(Nodes Block) {
      Block[].number = 1;
    However, now it gives me an error telling me that Block[].number = 1 is expecting an argument (inside [] I suppose).

Thanks again for any further insights!

Quote Originally Posted by M2W View Post
    Anyway, I have changed my definition to match the declaration like you suggested. Mainly:

Code:
      Block[].number = 1;
    However, now it gives me an error telling me that Block[].number = 1 is expecting an argument (inside [] I suppose).
    Yes, of course. As I wrote in my previous post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523
    [...] you would have to access its sole member as Block.number inside the function.
    An empty [] only makes sense in a declaration. (Well, there actually are other contexts where this construct is used as well, but I think I'll ignore them here for simplicity.)

And I hope the missing curly brace at the end of the function definition in both your posts is merely a copy-past failure.
    Last edited by Eri523; September 25th, 2010 at 09:25 PM.

Thank you again. That fixed the issue. But created another one, albeit, just 1.

Let me define a function_two() (and please ignore function_one() from before) so you can help me see what I am doing wrong:

Code:
    void function_two(Nodes Block)
    {
       // some stuff here

if (Block.number == 9) // the .number is the same as the index
        {
    	function_two(Block[0]); //Here is the problem -> Block[0] (The error points to the first bracket)
         }

function_two(stop.number ++); //Here is the same problem -> The error points to the stop word

}
    Now, I have fixed my functions like you told me to in your first post (I misread the first time, won't happen again). But this function_two is supposed to check if the "int number" of the array member is 9, if it is, I want to call function_two on the first element in the array, which is Block[0]. I figured this is the right way of calling it, since that is how I called function_two in the fist place in my main() part. But it doesn't work here. "Error: No operator [] matches these operands"

I tried a different way too, as you can see in the last line. This time, I'm trying to call function_two on the next member in the array (from the array member that called function_two in the first place). I tried accessing without the [] as above and using stop.number ++. It says
    "No suitable constructor exists to convert from int to Nodes"

Thank you!
    Last edited by M2W; September 25th, 2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: added comments

Quote Originally Posted by M2W View Post
    Code:
    	function_two(Block[0]); //Here is the problem -> Block[0] (The error points to the first bracket)
    This error is thrown because Block inside the function is a single Nodes object, but you try to access it as an array (which would be correct &#237;n main()). I told you it would be misleading to use the same name for two different things...

To fix this, you can pass the entire array (for access to the first element) as well as the index to the function:

Code:
    void function_two(Nodes Block[], int i)
    {
       // some stuff here

if (Block[i].number == 9) // the .number is the same as the index
        {
    	function_two(Block[0]); // Now this is correct
         }

function_two(stop.number ++); // Still wrong, well take care of that later
    }
    Now this would be called like function_two(Block, i); in main(). (I must admit I reused a variable name here myself, but in this case at least it's for the same type of object, and the name i for an array index is too tempting... )

Code:
            function_two(stop.number ++); //Here is the same problem -> The error points to the stop word
    Well, this is definitely not the same problem, hence you get a different error message. I don't see any definition of stop anywhere, but the error message suggest there must be one anywhere, and maybe it's a Nodes object. I can't tell you how to fix this though, because I don't know what you intend to do here.

EDIT: Oops! Of course this is not correct:

Code:
    	function_two(Block[0]); // Now this is correct
    It's incorrect because I changed the function signature to take two arguments now. Calling it like function_two(Block[0], 0); would at least be syntactically correct, but I'm not sure whether this would do what you want it to. Be careful when using recursion: This can be tricky, sometimes not only for a beginner.
    Last edited by Eri523; September 26th, 2010 at 07:29 AM.

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Code:
      Block.number = 1;
    }
    Something which hasn't been mentioned yet (that I've seen) is that this will not do what you expect it to do.

If you pass the entire array to the function, and an index, then you can modify elements of the array at will. However, here you pass only a copy of one element----so any changes you make to it, will not be propagated to the passed object in main!

You could if you wish pass by reference instead of by value.

OK guys. Thanks for the replies. That was a handful. I'm trying to implement the suggestions and it went bad, so let me summarize what I want to do, and where I am. Please bear with me.

So I have an array of 10 elements Nodes:
    Code:
    Nodes Block[10]
    In main, I use the following to call function_two on every member in the array:
    Code:
    for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
        function_two(Block[i])
    Now, each element of the array together with function_two is intended to do 2 things:
    1) Check if the array member that called it is the last one in the array. If it is, then call function_two on the first array element, mainly Block[0]. I thought I could access this member two ways: via its index (i.e., Block[0]) or via its "member number" (i.e., Block[0].number or Block.number, not sure)

If it is not the last element in the array, I just want it to call function_two on the next element. I thought I could do this in two ways. Either put Block[index ++] (but how?) or with Block.number ++

2) Once it knows that it is not the last element in the array, or if it is and it went to the first element in the array, it just needs to change a bool member in the array element. So my struct is in fact:
    Code:
    struct Nodes {
    int number;
    bool label;
    };
    So I guess where I stand is, if I define the function like this:
    Code:
    void function_two(Nodes &Block) {
       //What I wrote in this post
    }
    You guys say it will automatically take the array member calling the function automatically as a reference. And that's cool, but inside this function definition, I don't see a way to call this function again for specific array members, mainly the next array element from the one that called the function.

Thanks again!

I think you're being taught things backwards xD

If I got you right, you want a recursive function to work with the array, and the class Node is capable of knowing whether it is sitting in the last position in the array, and if so, the class can then call the said recursive function??

First, arrays are fixed size, so you already know the ELEMENT in the last position.

Second, in order for the Node class to be self-aware of its position, it needs more than just simple data types and I have a feeling that such a thing is far from your reach at this point.

Third, if none of these don't make sense to you, and somehow you're stuck with what you've been said and still want to do what you want to do, then maybe something like this could suit your needs?
    But once again, this is not the proper way to work with the array
    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    #include <cstddef>

#define SENTINEL_VALUE 999
    #define ARRAY_SIZE 10

using namespace std;

struct Node
    {
        int number;
        bool label;
    };

// Demo only, please avoid this kinda recursion
    void function_two(Node* pointer_to_node)
    {
        static size_t counter(0);
        cout << "Element at position (" << counter + 1 << ")";

if(pointer_to_node->number == SENTINEL_VALUE)
        {
            cout << " is the last element, terminating loop\n";

// rewind the pointer back to the first element
            pointer_to_node -= counter;

// then,change the value of the label like you described
            pointer_to_node->label = true;
        }
        else
        {
            cout << " is not the last, checking next element... \n";
            ++counter;
            return function_two(++pointer_to_node);
        }
    }

int main()
    {
        Node blocks[ARRAY_SIZE] = { 0 };

blocks[9].number = SENTINEL_VALUE;

function_two(blocks);

cout << "Label value of the the 1st element is " << blocks[0].label;
    }

OK. I mostly understand what you said. I can work my way through pointers if it does what I need it to do. Would my stuff work better if I made the struct Nodes a linked list? Actually, a circular linked-list?

If I did this, would function_two() (yes, it is recursive), know that it has to point to the first element in the array if the one that called it is the last one? Or how would I do it? I guess I could try to pass the pointers a the parameter in the function?

I'm gonna go ahead and try that, and post what I write. Maybe then you guys can tell me if that is a better approach.

Be back in a few mins.

First, potatoCode, thank you for your concise sample code in post #7. And it's even taylor-made for the OP's question, not just some anonymous copy-paste stuff!

But I really had to twist my mind a bit to follow what is going on in your demo code in post #10. As you correctly mentioned, this is definitely not the right way to do that, and I hope that's illustrated appropriately by that sampe. BTW: The counter will de facto not be incremented during the path of processing, as it is not passed along when recurring...

M2W, I don't think that using a linked list, whether circular or not, would be a real gain. I agree to potatoCode and think a plain iteration would best fit the scenario. Something like that:

Code:
      do {
        for (int i=0; i<10; ++i) {
          function_two(Block, i);  // Implemented non-recursive!
        }
      } while (/* some condition */);
    You may add specific processing for the last element either in main() (preferably in the outer loop) or, based on the value of i, in function_two(), as you like.