CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Software Developer/Engineers Jobs? - Best Place to work

Hi,

I wanted to know how many of you actually like their jobs? What is the average time a sofware developer works... is it 9am to 5pm? Can software developers work flexitime? Do you know of any companies in London, UK that allow its employees to work flexible hours and also come to work with casual clothes? Also do you know any companies in london where software developers can work part-time and still earn a decent salary? Do you know companies where you can work from home as a software developer from here in the UK? Do software developers earn a lot. Is it possible to get rich working as a software developer? What is the best way to get a promotion quickly? How long does it take to become a senior software developer? Has anyone here become rich after becoming a software developer?

Sorry, I know a lot of question, but if you can answer any or all, it will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Software Developer/Engineers Jobs? - Best Place to work

I wanted to know how many of you actually like their jobs?
    If you don't like your job, find another one.

What is the average time a sofware developer works... is it 9am to 5pm? Can software developers work flexitime?
    Depends...

UK that allow its employees to work flexible hours and also come to work with casual clothes?
    Do you really think that programmers wear a 3-part suit ?

Is it possible to get rich working as a software developer?
    Working people never get rich. Programming is not about getting rich, it's a way of life.

What is the best way to get a promotion quickly?
    Start sucking up.

How long does it take to become a senior software developer?
    'Senior' is a BS-term and every company has it's of definition of it.

Has anyone here become rich after becoming a software developer?
    Ask Bill Gates.

So how much could a software developer expect to earn. I've seen adverts on job search sites with contract and freelance work with developer able to earn even somewhere between £70K upto £200,000.

So to reiterate my question; has anyone got rich from being a software developer, what I meant was, has anyone received more than £70K a year as a developer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Gore View Post
    So to reiterate my question; has anyone got rich from being a software developer, what I meant was, has anyone received more than £70K a year as a developer?
    Yes, there are rich software developers
    By the way I am never into wearing uniforms at workplace!

Best Place to work
    At HOME...
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

I also heared that as a software developer you can work freelance, find projects on freelance websites, make a bid etc, which doesn't even require setting up a company.

Is it feasible to find jobs online, and make cash as high as £100K? Can one person code and complete such projects?

Sorry to say this, but I start to dislike your attitude. Why ? Because you think that you can get rich while being a programmer. Let me state one thing : WORKING PEOPLE DON'T GET RICH (exceptions excluded).

.. And by 'exceptions excluded' I mean 'people who are exceptionally bright/good and have an idea they can exploit with the programming skills they have, combined with vision/attitude they can achieve'. People like Bill gates, Mark suckerberg, Larry Page, Chad Hurley, Steve Chen and some others. They make the big bucks.

You wanna go freelance ? Go ahead. You will be working in 2-5 (or more) different companies a year. Does it pay, Yes it does. Does it give you a steady job. No, it doesn't. Does it give you stability at all ? No it doesn't.

... but.. . but.. . I wanna get rich. .... Be the best of them all and you will get payed accordingly.

Thanks for the input.

My question is not about getting rich like Bill Gates etc... its just that I have seen projects on freelance websites where developers get to bid on projects as high as £100k. I didn't mean rich like in the millions, I meant wealthy like let say you have £300k in the bank after working years as a full-time and freelance developer.

Now it may not be a steady job, may be it can be a full-time software developer job and then you may quit your job and do a project that will earn you 100K as a one time thing. Then when you have that money in the bank, may look for another full-time job. I think thats the advantage of contract/freelance jobs, the payment does not get divided within the company amongst employees. One may even find a part-time steady job and do the freelance work on the side. Just wanted to know what your ideas were on this. Or is it completely ridiculous?

Will you move if you are offered better ? you want to use this move to put a "neat" end to your current position ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Gore View Post
    Thanks for the input.

My question is not about getting rich like Bill Gates etc... its just that I have seen projects on freelance websites where developers get to bid on projects as high as £100k. I didn't mean rich like in the millions, I meant wealthy like let say you have £300k in the bank after working years as a full-time and freelance developer.

Now it may not be a steady job, may be it can be a full-time software developer job and then you may quit your job and do a project that will earn you 100K as a one time thing. Then when you have that money in the bank, may look for another full-time job. I think thats the advantage of contract/freelance jobs, the payment does not get divided within the company amongst employees. One may even find a part-time steady job and do the freelance work on the side. Just wanted to know what your ideas were on this. Or is it completely ridiculous?
    One (or two) things to think about: (1) You'll have to pay taxes on that 100K. The companies you're working for do not automatically take taxes out of the money they are paying you (advantage to them, as they have less paperwork to do). (2) You'll have no benefits in the form of medical insurance, life insurance, automatic withdraws into some kind of retirement fund, no "profit sharing", etc.

Freelance work does have it's advantages in that you have nobody to answer to, really, except yourself; you can take time off practically anytime you want. For me, however, having a steady job at a company outweighs the benefits of freelance work.

Viggy

Quote Originally Posted by MrViggy View Post
    One (or two) things to think about: (1) You'll have to pay taxes on that 100K. The companies you're working for do not automatically take taxes out of the money they are paying you (advantage to them, as they have less paperwork to do). (2) You'll have no benefits in the form of medical insurance, life insurance, automatic withdraws into some kind of retirement fund, no "profit sharing", etc.
    Freelance work does have it's advantages in that you have nobody to answer to, really, except yourself; you can take time off practically anytime you want. For me, however, having a steady job at a company outweighs the benefits of freelance work.

Viggy
    True, it's better to work as a full time employee
    But how about taking 100K and canceling the "go" youself at once ? are such "behaviors" worth learning after all ?

But, it's pretty hard to keep a new product a secret, and then, it gets copied-in-kind...
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    But, it's pretty hard to keep a new product a secret, and then, it gets copied-in-kind...
    And, depending on the type of agreement you sign, if you do come up with a new idea, it could become property of the company your contracting with.

Viggy

Typically, I charge 10% of what I think the product is worth, with 10+ sales.

In most cases, it works out for both parties.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Quote Originally Posted by softwaretailor View Post
    I have more than 20 years coding experience. After all these years, we found software development outsourcing is what we need. …thank you very much for the excellent service and I would not hesitate to recommend both you and the Software Tailor system to anyone who wishes to have high quality software outsourcing services with a reasonable price.
    Please stop spamming CodeGuru.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast