CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Recent Grad with little experience. Is it wise to work as a 'field tester'.

I'm actually not sure what the official term is, but from what I've read, it seems like there is little programming involved in this position. The job involves a lot of traveling to meet with clients across the US, obtain their requirements, and relay them back to your company. I haven't worked in one of these positions, so I can't say for sure, but that's basically what I gathered from it.

I have seen numerous postings for these types of jobs and, at the moment, it seems like that would be my best chance to get a job in the industry. I've been looking for about 2 months with no luck for a programming job. The job I stated above doesn't sound too appealing to me, but, if it will get me the industry experience I need to land a proper programming job, I don't mind working there for 3-4 years. If experience in this position won't really matter for people looking for programmers, then I really don't feel it is worth my time and effort. So basically I'm wondering if any of you guys know what type of position I'm referring to, and if it will provide me with relevant experience to land me a better job sometime in the near future.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Recent Grad with little experience. Is it wise to work as a 'field tester'.

If they are paying, then you might as well do it, until something better comes along
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Re: Recent Grad with little experience. Is it wise to work as a 'field tester'.

I haven't seen too many "field testers" ever really get into strong development. 90% of the time, this position is better known as "bug finder." Your involvment in code is rather weak so you don't really improve or prove yourself.

And, if it's not appealing, then why would you do it? Just because "it may pay out in a number of years" isn't a really good answer.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.