CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Arrow Webcam Capture problem

Hello Everyone

Currently , I am facing a stubborn problem capturing video from a webcam using JAVA.
    i've used JMF and OpenCV:

JMF: it worked fine on my machine (check the specs below) .. but refused to work on any other machine i've tested ! ...
    the problem is with JMStudio ... although the webcam is present in the capture device list , when i select "capture" and choose the default options of the JMStudio's capture dialog box ..... another dialog box appears !!! , asking me to select the video source device , so i do , then an error box "Could not initialize capture device" .. and nothing happens !
    (the "select video source" box belongs to the javaw.exe process)

OpenCV (wrapped for JAVA ubaa.net/shared/processing/opencv/):
    it worked fine on my machine also ... but failed on all other tested machines (see their specs below) ... when the program starts to capture , the same "select video source device" dialog appears ... then i select my webcam from the list .... i get a black screen ... no data is received from the buffer at all ! (also , opencvObj.width & height are both ZERO)

i've also tried OpenCV through the "Processing" library ... but of no use

Notes:
    1. my machine (that works) is older than the other tested machines (2008 vs 2010)
    2. my machine's webcam supports RGB ... other webcams support YUV ONLY ... (YUV works fine on my machine with JMF btw)
    3. I am using the latest version of JDK & JMF , but OpenCV v1.0 (for the wrapper to work correctly)

Specs:
    1. my machine (webcam works fine in ALL cases):
    webcam: Creative Integrated webcam

2. other machines i've tested:
    webcam: HP integrated webcam - Dell integrated webcam

Can anyone guide me to reach a solution ?

Thanks

Re: Webcam Capture problem

Did you run any installation programs on your machine when setting up JMF and/or OpenCV and, if so, did you run the same installation programs on the other machines or did you just copy over the jars etc.
    Posting code? Use code tags like this: [code]...Your code here...[/code]
    Click here for examples of Java Code

Quote Originally Posted by keang View Post
    Did you run any installation programs on your machine when setting up JMF and/or OpenCV and, if so, did you run the same installation programs on the other machines or did you just copy over the jars etc.
    I've installed JMF/OpenCV1.0 on all tested machines .. and used eclipse IDE to run/debug my program.

Appreciating your help.

Unfortunately that's about the limit of my help. I know nothing about using webcams with java. I only mentioned the installation program because I had similar issues with hardware some time ago and eventually tracked it down to the installation program quietly adding DLL's to the OS which of course you don't get if you just install your application and the associated jars on another machine.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Posting code? Use code tags like this: [code]...Your code here...[/code]
    Click here for examples of Java Code

Thanks you, keang.

Can anyone help me ?

any help ?