Hi there,

I am having a problem debugging some legacy VB6 code in our systems. The VB6 project produces an ActiveX DLL which is used by a small piece of Excel VBA code. The problem is that I get different behaviors in debug or "stand-alone" execution (i.e. it works fine as a stand-alone, but not while debugging).

I tried boiling down the problem to something smaller that generates the same error.

The VB6 project is called "FooLib", in "FooLib.vbp. It makes an AxtiveX DLL.

There are 3 class modules in it:

(1) IFoo in IFoo.cls, which is PublicNotCreatable

Public Property Get value() As Double
End Property

(2) Foo in Foo.cls, which is Private

Private myValue As Double

Implements IFoo

Public Sub build(v As Double)
myValue = v
End Sub

Private Property Get IFoo_value() As Double
IFoo_value = myValue
End Property

(3) FooFac in FooFac.cls, which is GlobalMultiUse.

Public Function getFoo(v As Double) As IFoo
Dim res As Foo
Set res = New Foo
res.build v
Set getFoo = res
End Function

The Excel workbook "TestFoo.xls" has a single module with this sub:

Public Sub test()
Dim f As Foolib.IFoo
Set f = Foolib.getFoo(1)
Debug.Print f.Value ' Should print 1 in the immediate window.
End Sub

I do these 2 experiments:

(1) If I compile FooLib, and set FooLib.dll as a reference in the VBA environment of TestFoo.xls, then it all runs fine.

(2) If I set the reference to FooLib.vbp, and from VB6 do Run -> Start with full compile, then I get:
"Run-time error '98': A property or method call cannot include a reference to a private object, either as an argument or as a return value".

If I set a breakpoint in FooLib.getFoo, I can see that the function gets executed all the way through, and the error is after the "End Function".

I assume that the "private object" in the error message is the variable res declared as a Foo in FooLib.getFoo(). However, it is returned as an IFoo, which is PublicNotCreatable, so shouldn't it be ok to send it to Excel?

Or is the problem with the way I use the project for debugging? Or is there something I should be careful about with the registration? I am really running out of ideas to explain what is happening...

Nicolas