CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

static functions

Hi,

I have a function which I need in different source files again and again. So I thought implementing it in an own class (Defaults) as static function. I have

Code:
    //Defaults.h
    #ifndef DEFAULTS_H
    #define DEFAULTS_H

class Defaults
    {
      public:
      static const double c;
      static void read();
    };

#endif
    and

Code:
    //defaults.cpp
    #include "defaults.h"
    #include <iostream>

using namespace std;

static void Defaults::read() //this is line no. 6
    {
      cout << "static read";
    }
    And then somewhere in my code I want to do:

Code:
    //some other class.cpp
    #include "mainwindow.h"
    #include "defaults.h"
    #include <iostream>

using namespace std;

MainWindow::MainWindow() 
    {
    cout << "construtctor mainwindow"; 
    cout << Defaults::c; // c was set before this works

Defaults::read(); // this doesn't work
    }
    When trying to compile I get

defaults.cpp:6: error: cannot declare member function ‘static void Defaults::read()’ to have static linkage
    So what is wrong here?

Apart from the bug itself here, is that the right way to achieve what I want to achieve?

Thanks, J.

Re: static functions

Putting helper functions in a separate class and make them static is what I do sometimes as well, so I'd say, it's not a bad idea.

As to your problem: omit the 'static' in the .cpp file. It is only needed in the header file .

Quote Originally Posted by joebar View Post
    So what is wrong here?
    You don't need to specify the static keyword before the function definition, only before the declaration in the header file.
    Apart from the bug itself here, is that the right way to achieve what I want to achieve?
    I don't know what you want to achieve. However, what you have here is nothing but a glorified global variable. There is little use for a class with only static members (unless the class is designed to be used as a template argument, e.g. in policy based design). Instead you can use a namespace to prevent polluting the global namespace. But then still, you are using a global variable, which is often a sign of bad design.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Thanks, the bug itself is resovled.

I want to use this class to define glober helper functions I need again and again in different classes, files, etc. So if there is a better way of doing so I am open to it.

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Typically the way to design reusable helper functions is to carefully distill the interface to be as general as possible, and then stick it in an appropriate header file.

Quote Originally Posted by D_Drmmr View Post
    But then still, you are using a global variable, which is often a sign of bad design.
    Global const variable. AFAIK, there is nothing wrong with those. For example: std::string::npos, std::ios::in, etc...
    Is your question related to IO?
    Read this C++ FAQ article at parashift by Marshall Cline. In particular points 1-6.
    It will explain how to correctly deal with IO, how to validate input, and why you shouldn't count on "while(!in.eof())". And it always makes for excellent reading.

Quote Originally Posted by monarch_dodra View Post
    Global const variable. AFAIK, there is nothing wrong with those. For example: std::string::npos, std::ios::in, etc...
    You're right. I didn't notice the const and assumed the read() function would load the value from file or something.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky