CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Design Question

Design Question

I am doing this under academic setting.

I have about 10 classes doing different jobs. However, there are some functions which are called by a couple of classes so I have declared them under a different header and are global function. Is this a bad design to leave some functions floating around as they are common to a number of classes.

I would like to declare them under a class name but them how do I share those functions among different classes?

Is too much use of static function a design problem as well? I have some functions which are being used by different classes various times.
    Last edited by Learned; November 7th, 2010 at 09:16 PM.

Re: Design Question

Hi,

if you wish to centralize some functions called by some different classes you can declare a helper class. Each class using this helper class can either inherit from it (in cpp multiple inheritage is possible) or make use of the helper class (via a member). This member can be a reference, a pointer or a (static) member.
    Sometimes I have a helper class that has only static functions: Then I do not need any instance of this class.

So there are many ways to have helper functions in a class and I think that is a better design than having global functions. Which one is the best depends on the situation.

With regards
    Programartist

Re: Design Question

What about using a singleton class for these functions? Isn't this the purpose of the Singleton classes?
    Last edited by SkyNetTo; November 8th, 2010 at 07:54 AM.