CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Win2008 UDP sockets throw WSAENETRESET error after some minutes working fine.

Hi!

I'm facing a problem with the use of UDP sockets running on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64 bits (processor is Dual-Core).
    Two different software modules, one writen in VC++ 6.0, the other writen in Java, get the same error:
    "10052: WSAENETRESET: The connection must be reset because the Windows Sockets implementation dropped it."
    We don't get the error inmediately, but after a while, after some minutes running, after tens or even hundreds of messages have been sent and received through that UDP socket.
    The fact that the error is thrown in different software modules, writen by different developers, in so different languages, make me think that the problem is not code related, but Win2008 UDP sockets environment configuration.... Something probably related to some variable in the Windows Registry... some parameter, some security policy...
    In fact we have installations on other Win2008 that are running OK. Also on Win2000, 2003, even XPs.
    There is no antivirus software running on the server, neither any third party firewall.
    On VC++ code, WSAIoctl is invoked to avoid this well known problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263823/en-us:
    Code:

status = WSAIoctl(this->m_hSocket, SIO_UDP_CONNRESET,
     &bNewBehavior, sizeof(bNewBehavior),
            NULL, 0, &dwBytesReturned,
            NULL, NULL);
    But, as you can see, the 263823 problem is WSAECONNRESET (10054). But the problem we now face is WSAENETRESET (10052).

Does anybody know what may be wrong in this Win2008 configuration that is triggering this 10052 WSAENETRESET with our UDP sockets?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Ricardo Vazquez
    Madrid. Spain.

Arrow Re: Win2008 UDP sockets throw WSAENETRESET error after some minutes working fine.

Any event log entries?

Wireless connection?

Are your network interfaces configured correctly to work with your other network gear? Duplex, speed, teaming, etc.
    Last edited by Craig Gemmill; November 26th, 2010 at 10:39 AM.
    Good Luck,
    Craig - CRG IT Solutions - Microsoft Gold Partner

-My posts after 08/2015 = .NET 4.x and Visual Studio 2015
    -My posts after 11/2011 = .NET 4.x and Visual Studio 2012
    -My posts after 02/2010 = .NET 4.0 and Visual Studio 2010
    -My posts after 12/2007 = .NET 3.5 and Visual Studio 2008
    -My posts after 04/2007 = .NET 3.0 and Visual Studio 2005
    -My posts before 04/2007 = .NET 1.1/2.0

*I do not follow all threads, so if you have a secondary question, message me.