CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Arrow serial communication

I am doing a small project to send commands to a device using rs232 serial interface
    My knowledge about this is limited
    I'd lke to know when you can send data rate (transmission rate) that is larger than 10000 bauds because as I been told, the complete instrument before delivery to customer is set at transmission rate of 9600 bps only.
    Second, the stop bit as i was told is usualy set at 1, I wonder when we define a stop bit of 1.5, 5.5 for example.

Third, I have a list of commands available on hand of rs232 and a list of the instrument-to-be-controlled commands in case it received the sent messages. I would like to know is this a kind of map for a software-to-be-made to test the serial connection between my computer and the device (instrument). If so, people who make the testing software can just create this mapping commands then they mean to finish the local software ? :tongue:

If anyone who would like to post a reply and still wonder what I am talking about, please just feel free to make one, I love all of your questions.

Thank you Everyone very much. And have a nice Turkey Day!

Re: serial communication

Quote Originally Posted by TheSoyBean View Post
    I am doing a small project to send commands to a device using rs232 serial interface
    My knowledge about this is limited
    I'd lke to know when you can send data rate (transmission rate) that is larger than 10000 bauds because as I been told, the complete instrument before delivery to customer is set at transmission rate of 9600 bps only.
    Second, the stop bit as i was told is usualy set at 1, I wonder when we define a stop bit of 1.5, 5.5 for example.

Third, I have a list of commands available on hand of rs232 and a list of the instrument-to-be-controlled commands in case it received the sent messages. I would like to know is this a kind of map for a software-to-be-made to test the serial connection between my computer and the device (instrument). If so, people who make the testing software can just create this mapping commands then they mean to finish the local software ? :tongue:

If anyone who would like to post a reply and still wonder what I am talking about, please just feel free to make one, I love all of your questions.

Thank you Everyone very much. And have a nice Turkey Day!
    If you're trying to control a device through an RS-232 you're going to find 9600 baud to be a pretty common transmission rate. Unless you're piping huge files across that connection you won't really need to use much of a higher rate. I'm developing a time and attendance application right now that talks to a magstripe reader and its transmission rate is 9600. There's no data bottleneck. No point in tweaking it faster unless you really NEED to. Generally 9600,n,8,1 (9600 baud, no parity, 8 data, 1 stop).

-Max