CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

How to add items to the Windows Explorer context menu?

Hey guys, I'm working on a program and I want to be able to right-click on a folder on my computer and have a menu in the Windows Explorer context menu related to my program. Does anyone know of a way to do this in C#?

I've tried Googling but some moron created countless sites that all point to the same site to purchase some stupid program to add items to the Windows context menu that is all that showed up for about 20 pages of Google ...

Thanks.

Re: How to add items to the Windows Explorer context menu?

you are actually looking for a modification to your windows registry,

look for tutorials on how to modify your registry so that you can add programs to your context menu, but always remember modifying your registry can be a dangerous task, the worst case scenario is you end up corrupting your whole system.

have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjavoman View Post
    but always remember modifying your registry can be a dangerous task, the worst case scenario is you end up corrupting your whole system
    it's a bit exaggerated, don't you think? you can damage you system by deleting system files as well

anyway, here's a solution Add a context menu to the Windows Explorer
    win7 x86, VS 2008 & 2010, C++/CLI, C#, .NET 3.5 & 4.0, VB.NET, VBA... WPF is comming

remeber to give feedback you think my response deserves recognition? perhaps you may want to click the Rate this post link/button and add to my reputation

private lessons are not an option so please don't ask for help in private, I won't replay

if you use Opera and you'd like to have the tab-button functionality for the texteditor take a look at my Opera Tab-UserScirpt; and if you know how to stop firefox from jumping to the next control when you hit tab let me know

yeah a bit exaggerated, just wanted to get the point across xD
    anyway that looks like a nice little program for adding stuff to the context menu, when I've done it I've always done it the manual way.

I'll also give it a download, thanks