CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

RSA algorithm help

Hey there,

I am writing a C++ program that will encrypt/decrypt a message inputted by the user using RSA.

Now, I have no idea how to tackle this here. Are there any libraries that are used for this type of stuff?

I found a nice website here:

http://www.waset.org/journals/waset/v54/v54-110.pdf

but remain confused as to how I would actually program that. RSA seems extremely complicated to me, although I'm sure I'm over thinking it. If anyone could perhaps throw me a bone and get my mind jump-started here, I would really appreciate that. Perhaps even a small pseudo-code or something.

Thanks in advance.

Re: RSA algorithm help

RSA encryption is build in windows. Example.

RSA is a public-key system. Are you sure that's what you want to use? What are you trying to accomplish?

RSA encryption works by raising integers in modulo so that raising by encrypt and decrypt in modulo comes back to the original message. The hard thing is to select the prime numbers so that they are hard to predict. RSA is too slow for long messages and only used to sign things and send low security keys.

For longer messages, you can make your own random generator with the password as the seed and apply something that takes a minute to decode with the right password. As long as noone else have the same application, you should be safer than with a bad RSA implementation since they can be forced with enough power.