CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Migrating to a Windows Form Application

I’ve managed to put together a Windows Console Application from examples on MSDN and the Internet at large. As a system programmer (PERL, KSH, microcontrollers, etc.) I am having difficulty migrating the code to a Windows Form Application. What are some good resources to help in this migration process. The project I am working on is and Arduino board with an Ethernet port. The Arduino microcontroller will send UDP data to a PC that will receive the message and display the data in a text box. The console application I have does exactly what I want, I just need to migrate it to a Windows Form Application.

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Text;
    using System.Net;
    using System.Net.Sockets;

namespace udpasync
    {
    class Program
    {

static UdpClient usck;

static void recv(IAsyncResult res)
    {
    IPEndPoint remote = new IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Any, 0);
    byte[] data = usck.EndReceive(res, ref remote);

// do something with data received from remote
    Console.WriteLine(remote.Address.ToString() + ": " + Encoding.ASCII.GetString(data));

// get next packet
    usck.BeginReceive(recv, null);

}

static void Main(string[] args)
    {
    usck = new UdpClient(514);
    Console.WriteLine("waiting for packets, hit enter to stop");
    usck.BeginReceive(new AsyncCallback(recv), null);
    Console.ReadLine();
    usck.Close();
    }
    }
    }

Thanks,

J

Re: Migrating to a Windows Form Application

what should the application exacly look like? should it have just a single button or something... what are you having problems with?
    win7 x86, VS 2008 & 2010, C++/CLI, C#, .NET 3.5 & 4.0, VB.NET, VBA... WPF is comming

remeber to give feedback you think my response deserves recognition? perhaps you may want to click the Rate this post link/button and add to my reputation

private lessons are not an option so please don't ask for help in private, I won't replay

if you use Opera and you'd like to have the tab-button functionality for the texteditor take a look at my Opera Tab-UserScirpt; and if you know how to stop firefox from jumping to the next control when you hit tab let me know

Re: Migrating to a Windows Form Application

The initial Windows form program would just a single text box (textBox1) that will write a received on a UDP port. Later I plan on parsing the received data to write to various different text boxes. Unlike the console application where all the code is contained on a single file. I am having troubled breaking the code up to be initialized in the program.cs and called from the form1.cs.