CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

New to programming, need help with assignment

any help is appreciated!

This is for an assignment, its quite basic stuff as were new to it and i went through the practice stuff in the book and fount it easy enough so i thought id get this but im stuck whenn it comes to this work, Grr!

ok so the questions are;
    "2.1 Add an Order class to your project to store the following information about an Order: the Order's reference number, the customer's name , a description and total cost. In addition, the class also stores the order's call-in time and the delivered time (all of type Time).

2.2 Write a constructor which sets the order reference number, customer name, description, total cost and call-in time from suitable formal parameters. Call-in time should be represented by two formal parameters of type int which are passed as actual parameters to a Time constructor. The delivered time should initially be set to null."

Im having problems with making this "Order" class, i get confused where the two classes mix :/

this is some of the time class;

public class Time
    {
    //fields
    private int hour;

private int minute;

//constructor
    public Time ()
    {
    hour = 0;
    minute = 0;
    }

//method
    private void setHour(int newHour)
    {
    if ((newHour >= 0) & (newHour < 24)) {
    hour = newHour;
    }
    else{
    hour=0;
    }
    //##more methods down here##
    }
    and well heres what ivei done in the "Order" class which im supposed to be doing now

public class Order
    {
    // 2.1 - fields
    private int orderNumber;
    private String customerName;
    private String description;
    private int totalCost;
    private Time callInTime;
    private Time deliveredTime;

//2.2 - constructor
    public Order (int newOrderNumber, String newCustomerName, String newDescription, int newTotalCost )
    {
    orderNumber = newOrderNumber;
    customerName = newCustomerName;
    description = newDescription;
    totalCost = newTotalCost;
    callInTime = ;
    deliveredTime = ;

}
    -----------
    so i basically have no idea where to start or what to do, ive played about with a few ideas buy none worked. Ever since i started i just looked at similar stuff and taught myself from that but i cant find anything like this that so im looking for help with this part and i so i can look over whatever you guys have done and teach myself when it comes up later (very similar question a few after this which im hoping to be able to do without asking for help

thanks for any help

Re: New to programming, need help with assignment

Your Time class handles time as two int values so you need a constructor to allow you pass in two int values to set the time.

Your Order constructor also requires two int values to represent the call-in time.

The homework states to set the deliveredTime to null so I'm not sure why you haven't been able to do this part.
    Posting code? Use code tags like this: [code]...Your code here...[/code]
    Click here for examples of Java Code