CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thanks In Advance

I see "Thanks In Advance" in many posts, after an OP asks for help with a programming problem. I will incorporate that into my personal communication style from now on as it seems like a great way to cut to the chase and not forget a very important part of relations. I only wish I had started using it a long time ago. If I had told the girls I was dating at the dinner table on the first date back then "Thanks in advance", would that have been wrong?

Re: Thanks In Advance

I see it in many posts too and I don't really like all those Hallos, TIAs, regards etc. sometimes you can even see someone saying Mr. we're not writing letters or emails here. it always looks strange to me. instead I prefer when people say weather the suggested solution worked or not. it's more helpful that TIAs in the first post and then nothing more.
    Last edited by memeloo; December 10th, 2010 at 05:30 PM.
    win7 x86, VS 2008 & 2010, C++/CLI, C#, .NET 3.5 & 4.0, VB.NET, VBA... WPF is comming

remeber to give feedback you think my response deserves recognition? perhaps you may want to click the Rate this post link/button and add to my reputation

private lessons are not an option so please don't ask for help in private, I won't replay

if you use Opera and you'd like to have the tab-button functionality for the texteditor take a look at my Opera Tab-UserScirpt; and if you know how to stop firefox from jumping to the next control when you hit tab let me know

Oh... It is a habit of mine to have a TIA at the end of my initial posts that are questions addressed to the public and up to now I considered it to be a courtesy. (Actually, I recently started a thread where I forgot it in the OP and then gave it later in post #3, the reply to the first reply.) If it now should turn out to get perceived as an annoying blank phrase I'll seriously consider to cease using it.

I will follow any further posts arriving in this thread with interest to see how this phrase is generally perceived.

And of course I also post a "thank you" in reply to posts that really helped me, in particular if I think I can give details on how I applied what I got suggested that might be interesting to the poster of the reply and/or the public.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

When I see TIA; it comes across as saying "You won't hear from me anymore, so don't expect dialog..." So maybe the OP disappears and doesn't even read the possible solution, so how would one know? After all, the OP basically said he won't be writing back. That's the way I perceive it. So why even bother looking into the problem?

Means Expect No Recognition (or Rating)
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

if you are soliciting sex, "thanks in advance" is a very appropriate thing to say.

How about using that "Thanks in advance" one liner as a closing statement after a job interview? Along with the hand shake of course.

Quote Originally Posted by viperbyte View Post
    How about using that "Thanks in advance" one liner as a closing statement after a job interview? Along with the hand shake of course.
    Well, that imposes some sort of obligation on the interviewer. Interesting tactic...
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Hey you're right; that does impose an obligation. So that must be true in the dating situation. She HAS to come through. It's like a creating a prophecy. Great observation.