CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Intellisense for CLR/C++ in VS 2010

Hi Guys,
    I would like to know if Intellisense is available for managed C++ in VS 2010. I am being told by some people that it is no available. If that is the case are there any third party solutions?

Also how different is C# from C++ ? Are the concepts completely different? How long will it take or how difficult it is for a person with a C++ background to learn C# ?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Intellisense for CLR/C++ in VS 2010

Quote Originally Posted by harishkumar09 View Post
    I would like to know if Intellisense is available for managed C++ in VS 2010. I am being told by some people that it is no available.
    I've read somewhere that they should bring it back with a service pack.

Quote Originally Posted by harishkumar09 View Post
    If that is the case are there any third party solutions?
    I use Visual Assist from Whole Tomato.
    win7 x86, VS 2008 & 2010, C++/CLI, C#, .NET 3.5 & 4.0, VB.NET, VBA... WPF is comming

remeber to give feedback you think my response deserves recognition? perhaps you may want to click the Rate this post link/button and add to my reputation

private lessons are not an option so please don't ask for help in private, I won't replay

if you use Opera and you'd like to have the tab-button functionality for the texteditor take a look at my Opera Tab-UserScirpt; and if you know how to stop firefox from jumping to the next control when you hit tab let me know

No, there is no intellisence for C++/CLI in VS2010. You can use 3rd party solutions, such as Visual Assist, but these are commercial tools, not free.

It shouldn't be too hard to learn C# if you already know C++. The syntax is very similar; you only have to grasp some concepts, such as value and reference types, garbage collector, reflection, etc. that don't exist in C++.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

The best way to use C++/CLI is not to use it at all C++/CLI using must be restricted to interoperability tasks, specifically, writing .NET wrappers to native code. Mixed mode applications are usually written by the following way: write everything possible in C#. If something cannot be written in C#, or can be written better in C++, use C++. Legacy C++ code can be part of mixed application as well. Use C++/CLI or PInvoke for interoperability.
    Learning C# is not difficult for C++ programmer.
    I just tested: there is no C++/CLI Intellisence in VS 2010. I think they decided to remove it, because in previous versions it was too bad, and C++/CLI is not mainstream language.
    Last edited by Alex F; December 10th, 2010 at 06:17 AM.