CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

write a 3d media player application for two (Left & Right ) AVI's?

Hello All,

I have two uncompressed avi's (Left & Right) to view in 3D.

Now I need to write a 3D media player(stereo player) application to play these two avi's to get 3D view.

Can you please help to give some ideas, algorithms or 3d party libraries to develop VC++ application.

Thanks in advance.

Re: write a 3d media player application for two (Left & Right ) AVI's?

Again ?

Writing 3D crap isn't that easy to do. Don't think you will find a simple answer here.

[ removed duplicate thread ]

Do not start multiple threads on the same problem.
    Marc Gregoire - NuonSoft (http://www.nuonsoft.com)
    My Blog
    Wallpaper Cycler 3.5.0.97

Author of Professional C++, 4th Edition by Wiley/Wrox (includes C++17 features)
    ISBN: 978-1-119-42130-6
    [ http://www.facebook.com/professionalcpp ]

How can i Generate 8 views for a single 2D image to develop 3D application?

Hello All..

I want to develop 2D to 3D application without using 3d glasses in VC++ 2008 environment.
    I don't know the exact concept name. May be it is "Auto-stereoscopy".
    How can i generate 8 views for a single 2D image to develop 3D application?
    If any one knows about this concept , please help me with tutorial or algorithms.

Thanks in Advance..

Re: How can i Generate 8 views for a single 2D image to develop 3D application?

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_one View Post
    I want to develop 2D to 3D application without using 3d glasses in VC++ 2008 environment.
    When you say "3D application", everyone assumes you mean 3D as in video games, textures and meshes. You need to be more clear in your terminology. You are talking about 3D video (as best I can tell.)

I don't know the exact concept name. May be it is "Auto-stereoscopy".
    Read the Wikipedia article on autostereoscopy. It's not something you do in software. It requires a hardware solution. No special monitor, no 3D images.

The only options available that don't require specialized hardware are:

1. Anaglyphs (those retro Red/Cyan glasses)
    2. Stereogram (two images displayed next to each other, viewed crosseyed)

How can i generate 8 views for a single 2D image to develop 3D application?
    I have no clue what you mean here. What so you mean by "8 views" and are we still talking about video?

Hello Chris_F,

Thanks for your response..

I am talking about 3d videos only..

Actually Red/Cyan anaglyph image contains 2 views i.e left and right views. same like that i want to generate 8 views(i.e 8 images) for a single 2D image. I dont know about that 8 views exactly but i hear some where i.e advance technology for 3D videos.

How can i implement 3D Video without using 3D glasses? If know anything about this, please tell me..

Actually Red/Cyan anaglyph image contains 2 views i.e left and right views. same like that i want to generate 8 views(i.e 8 images) for a single 2D image. I dont know about that 8 views exactly but i hear some where i.e advance technology for 3D videos.
    I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "8 views for a single 2D image." You're going to have to go into great detail about what you want to accomplish with this 8 image thing.

How can i implement 3D Video without using 3D glasses? If know anything about this, please tell me..
    Like I said, you don't have many options. Your only option is
    a stereogram, like this here. Even then, I don't think anyone wants to cross their eyes through an entire video, that's what 3D glasses are for.

The whole point of giving the user the impression they're looking at something that is actually 3D (as in real life) is by sending the left and the right eye a different image.

Proof: Hold your head steady. Close your left eye, look at something. Then close right and open left. then back to left closed and right open. Do this a couple times... because both eyes are at different places in the 3D universe, they're picking up a slightly different picture. It's your brain that is automagically translating the difference in images into what we call "depth perception".

If you're an "oldy" you probably remember the stereo glasses or what's often known under the trademark a "viewmaster". This is basically what "3D" video is trying to do as well.

You need to give each eye a different picture.
    The anaglyph is an early and cheap attempt at that by bleding 2 images into a single image and then "trying" (but really failing horribly) at returning the 2 different images by covering one eye with red and another eye with green.
    For black and white movies this'll "sort of" work, although your eyes still perceives 2 colors and your brain has a hard time actually trying to make sense of this. Splitting headaches when watching this type of video's is not uncommon.

In a movie theatre they use a different trick to give you 3D. They use 2 projectors that are synchronised to play the reel of film (or digital film) at the same speed.
    One projector has a vertically polarized filter so it only sends vertically oriented light waves to the screen. And the other projector has a horizontally polarized filter.
    You are given a pair of glasses where one eye gets a horizontal polarization filter and the other eye gets the vertical polarization filter.
    This actually works very well at achieving what it needs to do. Both eyes get a different picture and the effect can be quite amazing assuming you are sitting fairly close to where the 'camerapoint' of the projected movie is supposed to be. Sitting too far away from that point can again cause dizzyness, nausea and headaches.
    If you tilt your head. The image blurs out because the polarization filters are blocking the light.

On a computer screen there's very little you can actually do towards giving the user 2 different images in each eye.
    One solution is to display the images side by side and use a set of glasses with a prism to split the image in two and give each eye each half. The problem is that you need to eep your head very still.
    Another option is alternating the left eye image with the right eye image. And using a set of glasses with LCD's that "shuts off" the eye from seeing the image. This requires glasses that are synched with the screen, and they will need batteries since they contain electronics.

Thanks for your response.

I don't know about the 8 Views of a image, but i hear some where 8 Views concept is the new concept for 3D technology..
    2 Views for left and right eye generates only red/cyan type of anglyph image, for that we need 3D glasses to show 3D output image.
    I think "Auto-stereoscopy" is the exact concept i want.. I saw Wikipedia article on autostereoscopy, I got some idea about that but, i want to develop my application without using 3D eye glasses or 3D LCD monitors and generate multiple views for 2D image.

If you know anything about this please tell me..

Thanking You..

There are no options available. You can't have a 3D effect with a normal monitor without glasses. It's either glasses or special monitor.

The only thing you could possibly do is stereoscopic images which are more of a novelty, and not anything that can help you out.

Unfortunately you are out of luck.

I hear some where, we can fix a special glass in front of normal monitor and see 3D effect. Is it possible? Do you know anything about this?