CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Banned IP only on some threads.

While browsing the forum every now and then i get a
    'Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here'
    error message..

Obviously you'll need to know my IP .. Okay so here's the trick.. My ADSL IP can change and currently is 41.241.133.26.. BUT then the ADSL Service provider is behind a Proxy that has an IP of 196.25.255.195...

The other problem is that the IP issued to the ADSL changes Daily (forced logoff every night) and it's not always from the same Subnet. Previous IP's have been 41.241.125.60, 41.241.126.4, 41.241.139.101, 41.241.143.73, 41.241.145.16..

BUT.. I'm thinking that it has to be on only one of the servers as most of the time i can still browse (and post)..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Re: Banned IP only on some threads.

Joe will need to figure out which IPs are clashing. Chances are we banned some of the IPs your ISP is using due to spamming.

One spammer can ruin it for a lot of people......

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

Thanks Brad ..

I know the Problem .. it's a difficult balancing act of Blocking Spammers and allowing users..
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls

I'm afraid there's not a lot we can do about this. Your particular ISP changes IP addresses during the session. This is the only ISP we have ever encountered this issue with. We've run into this before. I'm not aware of any other ISP that changes the IP address every few minutes during a session.
    Online Community Manager

What ISP? Feel like buying some PACKERS/BEARS GAME TICKETS today? Just kidding...
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

I had no Idea that the Proxy Server IP was the one causing the issue.. Now the question.. Why are you recording the Proxy's IP and not the end user IP ??.. since both are in the page request. ?? ("REMOTE_ADDR" & "HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR")

David .. Hehe .. we signed up with Hellkom The primary provider in South Africa... (Just about all local internet goes through there lines).

Those are the end user IPs we see. There's no way for us to see anything but the external IP. Not with this software. If you give me the list of blocked IP addresses as you encounter that issue moment by moment, I can remove them. But I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a complaint of a blocked IP from a user on that ISP, and I check the IP address they show and it's not in the block list.
    Online Community Manager

Thanks Joe..

I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.. I do know that in one day i will appear from several IP's.. Because i browse from the office or from Home .. (at the office i have no problems) however at Home about every 10th page returns the above error.. My ADSL line is Nailed up and not set to connect on demand... So my Public IP (on the router) is fixed for a minimum of 24 hours (or till the next power outage).. Checking logs, i can see that often i have the same IP for 3- 6 days at a time .. The current IP is still 41.241.133.26..

I Often need to connect to my home server from work for multinetwork web/application testing as as such require the connection to be nailed up (connected permanently)..

I do know that the on demand connections can rotate IP's on a regular basis. but i think i'll need to do a little investigations into all the attached ips from home.. (proxy's and all ... ) so that i can perhaps come back to you with better information...

It's very simple, your particular ISP routinely changes the external IP address every so often. A user on that particular ISP was logged into another of our forums for 30 minutes. Over that span of time I saw four different IP addresses for him. It functions like an anonymity network for some reason. I don't know what the reason is that I'd love to ask them.
    Online Community Manager

This last month this problem is now really starting to get worse. I'm thinking that i'm not going to CG much from home.

Cell phones tend to get a different address each time they connect...
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    Cell phones tend to get a different address each time they connect...
    My celly access is fine, short of the screen been a little small to read everything , and a little slow...

But i'm on ADSL, and it's "random" Pages that get 'IP blocked' and most times just a single page refresh get's me in.. other times i need to refresh 6 or more times...

Someone watching you?
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Well looks like a found the solution to my problem (well on my ISP) ...

Found the solution here .. seem that locking in the proxy also locks in the Proxy IP.. And my Login Problems seem to have stopped now too...