CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: internet

Question internet

ive had a idea for a project but dont no how to start

my mum keeps going on at me for spending to long on the internet so i want to create a program that detects the internet connection and starts a timer till you disconnect then records the time to a file so it can keep a running total

how could i make the program always be running bit not visible till you click a icon or sumtihng like that

also how would i detect the internet connection

Re: internet

u already get application for that from the net...try google

Quote Originally Posted by mydadisadentist
    how could i make the program always be running bit not visible till you click a icon or sumtihng like that
    Sure depends on how good u are , and how much willin u are

all the best

regards
    - Sreehari
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    " Everybody is sent to Earth on a purpose. I am so Lagging behind that i won't die." – Calvin

my mum keeps going on at me for spending to long on the internet so i want to create a program that detects the internet connection and starts a timer till you disconnect then records the time to a file so it can keep a running total
    There is already an icon that tells you this - It gives you the time that you were connected to the lan/net from the last time you started it. By the way, this gives the total time of connection for one session..that doesn't necessarily mean you were browsing which for me is a tough task to find out. What you can do is take an internet connection that charges you by the time of browsing.. that will help you know how much browsing you have been doing.
    This is what is called a windows service application. I haven't worked on one and I am unaware of the details but you can do a google search about how to make one. Regards.

For detecting connection/disconnection:
    RasConnectionNotification()
    CreateEvent()
    WaitForSingleObject()
    For hiding application window (parameter SW_HIDE):
    ShowWindow()
    For creating a tray icon to make your app become visible again:
    Shell_NotifyIcon()

EDIT: The first link was pointing to RasEnumConnections(). Fixed it now.
    Last edited by philkr; February 7th, 2006 at 05:46 AM.
    Please don't forget to rate users who helped you!

For detecting how long you've been browsing, couldn't you just start the timer from when any web browser window is active, when connected?
    Regards,

Big Winston

Ive been learning c++ for only a couple of months during the school holidays but ive been spending at least a couple of hours a day learning.

should i leave this project for awhile and come back to it a bit later on when i have some experience. il give it a go to see if i can make it work.

Thanks for your help il research it a bit more before school starts again in a couple of days

HMMM i was looking at those MSDN references and the look a little to complicated unless any one would care to explain how the remote access service would work i thought id have to look for activity on a port or something along those lines

[ moved thread ]
    Marc Gregoire - NuonSoft (http://www.nuonsoft.com)
    My Blog
    Wallpaper Cycler 3.5.0.97

Author of Professional C++, 4th Edition by Wiley/Wrox (includes C++17 features)
    ISBN: 978-1-119-42130-6
    [ http://www.facebook.com/professionalcpp ]

For this problem, you can contact the Internet service provider,
    After that check your internet connection details, through this site http://www.ip-details.com/ip-details-client/
    It has the best result about ip address,internet service provider,location, country and and also provides the IP details at free cost itself.......