CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

Calling experience with large VB6 apps on Windows 7

My company still has a large number of applications developed in VB6. They range in size from a few hundred lines of code to a few over 100 thousand lines. We are still on Windows XP.

In all likelihood we’ll be on Windows 7 before all of the VB6 apps are replaced, retired or migrated to VB.Net.

I am not a VB Developer. I am a project manager … so please don’t shoot me :-). I am asking for feedback from anyone that is running large (over 50k lines of code) VB6 app(s) on Windows 7. Did you get it to work ok? Was it painful to get it to work? Has performance suffered? Etc.

If I'v posted on the wrong formum, can you point me to a better one. Also any links for lessons learned, tips, experiences, etc. running large VB6 apps on Win7 appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Calling experience with large VB6 apps on Windows 7

Certain controls are built-in to Win7, which causes problems if you try to deploy them, but that's few and far between. It's all available on Microsoft's Web Site.

In most cases, anything that runs in XP will also run in Win7
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!