CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

handle character at string(c)

hi,
    i wanted to know if there is any way to read character`s from string one by one,
    and set it in other string.
    i mean
    i have this string:

char *get = "hello";

now i want to get over the string char by char and if the letter != 'l' copy it to other string, like :
    Code:
    char *copy;
    char c; int i;
    for (i=0;get[i] != '\0';i++)
    c = get[i];
    if (c != 'l')
    {
       copy[j] = get[i];
        j++;
    }
    i dont want to do it by strchr,strtok... i want do it by reading char by char from the string,
    (the all problem when i tring to add the char to the copy array it tells me :
    canot covert char to char *
    any idea?
    Thanks,
    Or.

Re: handle character at string(c)

Is the code you posted really the code you got that error message for? I don't see what statement in that code could trigger that error.

I do see several problems in that short snippet though:
    • You would need to allocate memory to hold the output characters and assign its address to copy. Since you don't know in advance how many characters will be skipped I would suggest to allocate strlen(get)+1 chars.
    • You are missing a pair of braces. The way it is the for loop would only comprise the single statement following the for line.
    • You are neither declaring nor initializing j.
    • You don't copy the '\0' terminator at the end of the string.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

This pseudo-code is the sort of thing that would do the job. It should explain to you a method.

Code:
    // Get length of source char array (using strlen).
    // Make target char array of this size (plus one for the terminating zero) using new.

int positionInTargetArray = 0;
    for (int i=0;i==lengthOfSourceCharArray;++i) // For each character in the source char array and the terminating zero....
    {
      if (sourceCharArray[i] != 'l') // Check if it should be copied...
      {
         targetArray[positionInTargetArray]=sourceCharArray[i];  // Copy it to the next available slot
                                                                //  in the target array
         ++positionInTargetArray; // Move the target array next slot counter along one.
       }
    }

// Be sure that you don't miss the terminating zero at the end of the char arrays.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

I don't know what would cause that error, but you'll need to allocate memory for copy.

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Code:
    string get = "somethingblue";
    string copy;
    for (unsigned i = 0; i < get.size(); ++i)
        if (get[i] != 'l')
            copy += get[i];