CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thumbs up Find a file in Solution Explorer

A think is a simple question...(just think ) how can I quickly find a file in Solution Explorer? The right way.
    I'm using the Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate.

Re: Find a file in Solution Explorer

The files are categorized and sorted by names in there so what's the problem in finding one? If you wouldn't know the file's name that would be the wrong place to search anyway.

Ah, and... Welcome to CodeGuru!
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

The files are categorized and sorted by names in there so what's the problem in finding one? If you wouldn't know the file's name that would be the wrong place to search anyway.
    Ok! I search even in windows explorer for the file or search in the folders too. I still doesn't finding the file, maybe he is deleted or download again. Thanks.

In this particular case, where the file can't be found with Windows Explorer, I'm inclined to agree with newSpiker ... it was probably inadvertently deleted or never downloaded. But I DO think it's possible to be in the project directory and not appear in Solutions Explorer. How ? If the file was 'excluded' from a project.

In such a case, where a file has been excluded from a project, it remains in the directory but no longer appears in Solution Explorer (I THINK! might be worth tryin'). It will appear however in the list displayed when one clicks on Add->Existing Item (I THINK!).

Quote Originally Posted by ThermoSight View Post
    (I THINK! might be worth tryin').
    There's no need to do that. You're definitely right.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    Let's say I know the name of the file "HappyFeet.cpp", but I do not know off the top of my head where the file is located in the Solution Explorer.

What's the fast way of searching Solution Explorer for the file name, or part of the file name?

Now, yes, I know that the files are categorized and sorted. But my solution has 1200 projects, and 190,000 source files. Finding a source file quickly can be a chore.

Oh, how I wish there was a quick-search-filter field on Solution Explorer, much like the quick-search-filters in Expression Blend.

It would be great if I could search for a file name, or part of a file name, and the solution would cull out the tree down to a sparse tree with just the matching nodes.

I think the best way is to find it outside MSVC and double-click on it.

1200 projects in a solution... that's crazy in my opinion and smells more like a big structural/documentation issue than an IDE issue. It shouldn't be neccessary to fiddle around with all those files "at the same time". More or less any project is based on a lot of files (crt/boost/ace/...) but very rarely there's a need to open any of those file. Reading the docs and using the APIs is enough.
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by
    definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan

To enhance your chance's of getting an answer be sure to read
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/announ...nouncementid=6
    and http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366302 before posting

Refresh your memory on formatting tags here
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Get your free MS compiler here
    https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs

SonicFileFinder does just that. http://www.jens-schaller.de/sonictoo...nder/index.htm
    It is a great tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for the SonicFileFinder recommendation.
    Exactly what I'm looking for. I use both Visual Studio and Java , always feel like Visual Studio is missing the feature like "Ctrl+Shift+T" to locate the file.
    Now I can do this at both places.
    Save me time!

Quote Originally Posted by S_M_A View Post
    1200 projects in a solution... that's crazy...
    [ just an aside remark, a little bit off-topic ]
    I personally met once such type of solutions, requiring file-finder gurus. With no other comments, definitely, some architect(s) has to be shot!...
    Ovidiu
    "When in Rome, do as Romans do."
    My latest articles: https://codexpertro.wordpress.com/