CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Exclamation Development cost of a Digg/Reddit - like site?

Hey,

I'm a Senior Designer at an agency in Ottawa, Canada, and working on an idea and design for a site similar to Digg and Reddit in my spare time, but I do not have the coding knowledge to build it myself.

I was just curious to know what the development cost would be for a project like that.

I know I'll probably get different answers and a lot of people saying it would vary depending on the developers hourly rate, but if I could get an estimate of how many hours you think a site like Reddit would take to build and the average hours for a developer, I'd appreciate it very much!

Thanks!

Qusai

Re: Development cost of a Digg/Reddit - like site?

Don't bother getting estimates from anyone you're not considering hiring to do the job. All of the following will affect the price determined, therefore you won't get correct estimates unless you go right to the sources...

• Size of the project (features digg and reddit aren't what they started out as, they grew over time)
    • Developer's talent/skill
    • Time involved*
    • Server to host the web service
    • Development language/platform
    • Future management

*And just so you know...very few get paid by the hour. 90% of the time freelance contract prices will be set by the size of project, not by the man hours involved.

Honestly, those are just a few. Plus, until you lay out in complete detail your goals, no one could ever give you an estimate.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Re: Development cost of a Digg/Reddit - like site?

Fair enough.

Thanks man..

When I get nearer to completion I'll be sure to post in the job board.