CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Ontime question

Ontime question

Hi,

I would like to use ontime to begin a process at specified time (say 13:00:00), re-run the process at fixed intervals (say every 00:00:15) and then end the whole thing at a specified time (say 15:00:00).

I can do each operation separately (i.e. I can get a macro to run at a particular time or can get it to run every x seconds) but am not sure how to combine them. Im new to vba so your help for this amateur question would be much appreciated.

Feliche

Re: Ontime question

Windows Task Scheduler can do that. You can set it up by hand, or use the AT command to run a BATCH/CMD file.

Code:
    AT /?
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

If what you want to start is an external process, dglieanna's proposed solution is definitely one to consider.

If it's a VBA macro, however, you'd need to stick with OnTime. It looks like you've already found out that you can't do that with a single call to OnTime. But you can kick off the process once and then have the macro called from OnTime schedule the next call itself, something like this:

Code:
    Option Explicit

Dim SavedEndTime As Date, SavedInterval As Date

Sub StuffToDo()
      MsgBox "Hi, it's " & Now
      If Now + SavedInterval <= SavedEndTime Then Application.OnTime Now + SavedInterval, "StuffToDo"
    End Sub

Sub StartDoingStuff(StartTime As Date, EndTime As Date, Interval As Date)
      SavedEndTime = EndTime
      SavedInterval = Interval
      Application.OnTime StartTime, "StuffToDo"
    End Sub

Sub Test()
      StartDoingStuff TimeValue("13:00:00"), TimeValue("15:00:00"), TimeValue("00:00:15")
    End Sub
    (Not tested in this version, would simply take too long... )

Ah, and... Welcome to CodeGuru!
    Last edited by Eri523; May 6th, 2011 at 01:15 PM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Smile Re: Ontime question

Thanks for the reply. this is what i wanted. only one question though: does this all go in a worksheet? Does any of this go in a module?

It's a macro, so you can put it just about anywhere
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

DoStuff() needs to be in a module in order for the internal timer event to find it. StartDoingStuff() and the global variables need to be in the same module so that both Subs have access to the variables. But StartDoingStuff() can be called from anywhere, i.e. Test() does not need to be in the same module or any module at all.

At least that's what my tests resulted in on Excel 2003.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.