CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Web Based Quiz Advice

I'm learning C# 4.0 with Visual Studio 2010

I'd like to make a simple multiple choice quiz program, and I'd like to host it on my website similar to how a flash game works.

I've found from experience that the best way for me to learn is to pick a program like this that is way over my head and figure it out. Anyway, I'm familiar with C++, but I am entirely new to C#. I have the O'Reilly publisher's book on C# so I've got most of what I need there, but my question is this:

Should I use Silverlight, WPF, ASP.NET, etc...? Which of these is the best for making a multiple choice web quiz? Right now it doesn't matter if it is entirely one program or if it is a front end that pulls from a back end database. The only thing that matters to me is that it is written (or able to be written) in C#, since learning C# is my ultimate goal here.

Re: Web Based Quiz Advice

worthful,

For something as basic as a multiple choice quiz, I would suggest using ASP.NET and C#.

WPF is mainly used to make things look asthetically pleasing. Silverlight could be used but it probably isn't necissary, unless you want more than just a form with a few radio buttons and labels!

Regards,
    Bassguru

Re: Web Based Quiz Advice

Quote Originally Posted by bassguru View Post
    worthful,

For something as basic as a multiple choice quiz, I would suggest using ASP.NET and C#.

WPF is mainly used to make things look asthetically pleasing. Silverlight could be used but it probably isn't necissary, unless you want more than just a form with a few radio buttons and labels!

Regards,
    Bassguru
    Excellent!

That's what I was leaning towards. It would be nice if it could look decent, but as I said the main purpose of this project is to learn C#. ASP.NET it is.

Is ASP.NET something that can be made with asthetics in mind? If this program turns out to be useful, I'll probably let a few people in on it.

The idea of this program is to be a multiple choice quiz tailored to a specific Japanese language book. I just realized as I was typing this reply that language inputs may be an issue at some point. Is ASP.NET able to handle other languages? I'd obviously code in English, but most of the output of the quiz would be in Japanese