CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Photo editing - hi to low res in editing conversion

I need to know level of difficulty/hours needed to do this:

A user uploads a photo into an editing tool. It takes a couple of seconds to upload the full res version. Then, when the photos are being edited in the tool (cropping, color, etc.) it converts to low res for faster editing, so the high res image doesn't have to load every time there's a change. Once the user is done, and/or adds their final product, the manipulated image is saved to hi res again, for print.

What is the time estimate/level of complexity if this? The code is there for the tool (some advanced JavaScript), just need to change the speed of editing. Server disk write speed is plenty fast. Any comments would be appreciated.

Re: Photo editing - hi to low res in editing conversion

Um... not too hard, I guess? It is probably strongly dependent on your skill level and how powerful you want the interface to be. For a novice programmer, this could take a few weeks. For an experienced one, maybe only a few hours to a few days.

My general advice is to not redesign the wheel though. There are plenty of free, open-source tools to do this. A powerful (but a little complex to learn) one is the GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP). A less powerful, but easier to use, solution would be Paint.NET.
    Last edited by BioPhysEngr; February 11th, 2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: fix hyperlink to paint.net again...
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Re: Photo editing - hi to low res in editing conversion

I know your purpose is to cut off time, but in reality you're actually adding more processing to the work load. If your whole purpose is just so that the client-server communcation is lower, then that's another story.

Either way, this solution does not yet exist out there because cropping and any other editing that takes place on a coordinate basis cannot be done on a smaller scale and then added to a full-res image without a loss of coordinate data.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.