IO model for client handling multiple socket connection
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums

Thread: IO model for client handling multiple socket connection

Smile IO model for client handling multiple socket connection

I am working on TCP Client Simulator on C++.Here can simulate 1000 client.each client has some status information which server may require.Server can get the status of a particular client by issuing command with client ID.

Server may issue these command
    1."start-stream"-streams the data to server continually.
    2."stop stream"-stops the streaming
    3. "Status"-asking for status

client respond with 1.streams the data2.stops the streaming 3.send status information to server.

We can't use third party libraries(boost etc) to do this.I need to implement in C++.I came across the Several I/O model like Completion Port,Overlapped I/O etc.I am confused which one will suitable for the client application.

1.I wanted to know what I/O model is suitable for Client to manage these number instance.

2. how can I ensure the state of the each client instance.
    3. data structure to maintain the status information of the each client.
    Last edited by lok.vikram; March 16th, 2011 at 05:38 AM. Reason: add more point

Re: IO model for client handling multiple socket connection

For simulation of large numbers of clients (thousands), I would tend to use IOCP (I/O completion ports) as the I/O model. Also do some research on the ConnectEx function, which uses overlapped I/O and is thus consistent with the IOCP model (as opposed to WSAConnect or the simple connect() fucntion, which does not use overlapped I/O and thus is inconsistent with the IOCP model). See "ConnectEx Function" at

As for managing state and data structures for each client, that's up to you. You need to manage per-socket state anyway, in order to implement IOCP. Look at implementations of various state machines (sometimes called "finite state machines"). Here's one from Dr. Dobbs Journal: "A Finite State Machine Framework" at . It's just one of thousands of examples, so there's no particular preference or recommendation for this one.