CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Is it possible to have an infix expression in a Ternary Tree and above?

Hi All,

Is it possible to have an infix expression in a ternary tree?
    I am asking this because in a binary tree the infix expression is defined as visiting the left of the root, then the root, after that the right of the root. But in a ternary tree since there are 3 child nodes for each root, when should the root node be visited in order to make it infix.

I dont know any practical use of such a tree but it is a question that was once asked in an interview. any information regarding this will be great.

Re: Is it possible to have an infix expression in a Ternary Tree and above?

Seems to me that a ternary tree could be used the same way as a binary tree is used - by, for example, ignoring the right-most child (keeping it NULL) of each node, and considering the left-most and middle children to be left child and right child in accordance.

Or am I not getting your question right ?

Regards,
    Zachm

Smile Re: Is it possible to have an infix expression in a Ternary Tree and above?

<quote>
    Zachm Seems to me that a ternary tree could be used the same way as a binary tree is used - by, for example, ignoring the right-most child (keeping it NULL) of each node, and considering the left-most and middle children to be left child and right child in accordance.

Or am I not getting your question right ?
    <quote>

That would be like using a binary tree itself... But i am talking about a ternary or any higher order tree where there are odd number of children as its nodes here...