CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Csv File Reading

So my next task is to take a csv file with about 28 columns and parse the entire thing into a new file. Then I have a second csv file who has columns that overlap with the first one. These columns will not be parsed into the new csv file. The remaining columns in the second file will be parsed in though. So essentially I am merging the two files and only pulling the columns from the second one that don't exist in the first one. Can someone point me in the right direction on the best way to go about this? Thanks.

Re: Csv File Reading

Copy the second file, and edit the fields that you want, and delete the others.
    Or, just parse them both, but only use the fields that you want.

You'd have to SPLIT() the text file into lines, then into fields, and then parse into a new record.

Not really difficult, but might be more than a simple task
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

That's a good idea about deleting the columns, but I think this has to be completed automated so it will be able to pull the files from their locations, perform the functions needed, and then probably upload them to the desired location. I'm not sure though. Do you have some links to any examples of splitting the contents of csv files btw? Thanks for the reply.

Ok, I set it up so it iterates through all files in the folder and printed the contents of them into one large output file. I then deleted the columns I don't need from the second file. My next step is to set it up so it references the customer id column in the output file and matches it to the corresponding row in the second file and then add the columns for that row into the output file.