I bought a book called C++ without fear and it had a C++ compiler and a Rhide environment.
I installed the compiler and Rhide from a CD in the book and it looked like it installed fine.
I ran the first exercise in the book and did a compile with no errors.
When I run the compiled program it shows the source code in Notepad instead of running the program.
What could I have done wrong.
I am running this compiler and Rhide on a Dell 8600 laptop.
Please give me your opinion.
Well you probably accidentally changed the extension association for .cpp to notepad somehow. Try right clicking a .cpp file, right clicking and open with select your program from a list and choose to remember it.
Well the code will compile however 'Ftemp' should be 'ftemp'.
I have been at a seminar and my laptop broke, sorry about the wait, here is an excerpt from the Microsoft Knowledge base:
To change which program starts when you double-click a file
* You cannot use this method for a file that does not have a file name extension, or for a file that has an .exe, .com, or .bat extension.
* If you change the program that Windows uses to open a certain kind of file, and that program was not designed for the type of data in that file, the files may not appear correctly in the program. To be safe, note the name of the program that Windows previously used to open the file type so that you can reverse your settings if it is necessary.
To change which program starts when you double-click a file, follow these steps:
1. Open Windows Explorer by right-clicking the Start button, and then click Explore.
2. Click a folder that contains a file of the type that you want Windows to open in a program that you select.
3. Right-click the file and, depending on the programs installed on your computer, complete one of the following steps:
* Click Open With to choose the program that you want.
* Point to Open With, and then click Choose Program to choose the program that you want.
4. The Open With dialog box is displayed. Use one of the following methods to select the program that you want to use for this file type:
* In the Programs list, click the program that you want to use.
* Click Browse, locate and then click the program that you want to use, and then click Open.
* Click Look for the appropriate program on the Web to browse the Internet for the program that you want to use.
5. Click to select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box if it is not selected.
6. Click OK.