CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Unhappy Diplaying an arraylist from an xml in a Dialog MessageBox

Hi everyone, my first time posting in this forum. Glad to see that it exists! Here is my problem:

I am creating a program that reads from an xml file and then displays that information in a Dialog MessageBox. The program is designed to kill running processes. I am using Visual Studio Professional 2010 and programming in C#.

I want the MessageBox to come up immediately when the program runs (which it does) so I put it in the Form1_Load. Then entire program runs well except I can't display the arraylist in the MessageBox without getting errors. Any and all suggestions would be welcome. Thanks for looking. Here is the code:

NOTE: oReadXML is the arraylist. I have commented it out in the code as you will notice in order to run the program and test that everything else works.

private void Form1_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {

//displays arraylist in a dialog messagebox
    DialogResult dlgResult = MessageBox.Show(/*oReadXML.ToString(),*/ "Do you wish to kill these processes?",
    "Continue", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo, MessageBoxIcon.Question);

if (dlgResult == DialogResult.Yes)
    {
    //kills the processes listed
    oGetProcesses.Locate_Kill_Process(oReadXML.ToString());
    }
    else
    {
    }
    }

Re: Diplaying an arraylist from an xml in a Dialog MessageBox

Calling ToString() on an ArrayList will simply return "System.Collections.ArrayList", it won't nicely print every element inside of the collection.

First, don't use an ArrayList at all, use a strongly typed generic collection. There is seldom a good reason to use an ArrayList since the days of .NET 2.0 and I don;t know why people still insist on using them.

Second, if you want to print a chunk of XML then format it yourself or load it into an XmlDocument first.

Re: Diplaying an arraylist from an xml in a Dialog MessageBox

Thanks for the reply BigEd. I have to use an Arraylist because I am doing this as a project for school and it is required (but thanks for the info though)

I think I got it down except for one small problem. New code is posted below (I put it inside a foreach loop) but now I get an error on the foreach.

the error reads: Error 1 foreach statement cannot operate on variables of type 'Process_Killer.Read_XML_Class' because 'Process_Killer.Read_XML_Class' does not contain a public definition for 'GetEnumerator'

Process_Killer is the name of my program
    Read_XML_Class is obviously the name of the class with the code to read the xml

Don't understand enough to know why I am getting this error.
    any suggestions and help are appreciated.

private void Form1_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    string stringmine;

foreach (string strProcess in oReadXML)
    {

stringmine = strProcess;

//displays arraylist in a dialog messagebox
    DialogResult dlgResult = MessageBox.Show(stringmine + "Do you wish to kill these processes?",
    "Continue?", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo, MessageBoxIcon.Question);

if (dlgResult == DialogResult.Yes)
    {
    //kills the processes listed
    oGetProcesses.Locate_Kill_Process(oReadXML.ToString());
    }
    else
    {
    }
    }
    }