CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Why Visual c++ 6.0 getting closed on clean , build or any action?

Hi Every one ,

I was doing my project and due to battery failure my system got shutdown ,

now after that when I started my system again and started my project in vc ++ 6.0 when ever I compile or build or clean the project window of vc ++ 6.0 getting closed ,

I installed vc ++ 6.0 again and also tried by restoring my system but even problem not solved .

If I run my older project code then it works but I have made lots of changes after that ,

Anyone has Idea or experience such a problem ?

Re: Why Visual c++ 6.0 getting closed on clean , build or any action?

Quote Originally Posted by karimkhan View Post
    Hi Every one ,

I was doing my project and due to battery failure my system got shutdown ,

now after that when I started my system again and started my project in vc ++ 6.0 when ever I compile or build or clean the project window of vc ++ 6.0 getting closed ,

I installed vc ++ 6.0 again and also tried by restoring my system but even problem not solved .

If I run my older project code then it works but I have made lots of changes after that ,

Anyone has Idea or experience such a problem ?
    Why are you using such an old, outdated compiler such as Visual Studio 6.0? It is over 12 years old, and is not ANSI/ISO compliant. Why don't you install Visual Studio Express instead?

If you're using Visual C++ 6.0 as a learning tool, don't. Use a more modern, ANSI compliant compiler.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Red face Re: Why Visual c++ 6.0 getting closed on clean , build or any action?

Dear I dont like even to use it , but where im working their project is in that version ...thats why I need to work in it....

Quote Originally Posted by karimkhan View Post
    Dear I dont like even to use it , but where im working their project is in that version ...thats why I need to work in it....
    1) Then create a brand new project and add files to so that it looks like your old project

or

2) since you are using VC 6.0, create a make file (it's on the main menu somewhere), and build your app using nmake.exe (then the IDE doesn't get involved).

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKenzie View Post
    1) Then create a brand new project and add files to so that it looks like your old project

or

2) since you are using VC 6.0, create a make file (it's on the main menu somewhere), and build your app using nmake.exe (then the IDE doesn't get involved).

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    building using nmake is same as we do generally ? for using nmake do I have to install or use anything else then command line?

I'd reinstall Visual Studio 6.0. Looks like some of the opened files got corrupted "due to battery failure". That should fix it. (and stop to blame 6.0 - great compiler, can make beautiful soft if you know what you're doing).

Quote Originally Posted by FockuSS View Post
    I'd reinstall Visual Studio 6.0. Looks like some of the opened files got corrupted "due to battery failure". That should fix it. (and stop to blame 6.0 - great compiler, can make beautiful soft if you know what you're doing).
    VC 6.0 should only be used if you are maintaining a legacy application that was created with VC 6.0, and upgrading may cause an issue. I see no other reason to be using a compiler this old (not withstanding the fact it is non-ANSI compliant).

It shouldn't be used if you're creating new C++ applications, and it definitely cannot be used if you are using anything that uses C++ templates in an advanced manner. If you're learning C++, VC 6.0 should not be used. That's why third-party vendors no longer support VC 6.0 -- it cannot handle a lot of valid C++ syntax, and it allows invalid syntax to be compiled.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; April 4th, 2011 at 10:55 AM.

Try cleaning the project, closing the IDE, delete all ncb, opt, aps files, reopen the IDE and build. Hopefully it resolves the issue.
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by
    definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan

To enhance your chance's of getting an answer be sure to read
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/announ...nouncementid=6
    and http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366302 before posting

Refresh your memory on formatting tags here
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Get your free MS compiler here
    https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs