CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Beginner Question Regarding Nested If-Else Structure Implementation

I am taking a Java course at my local CC, and I have managed to write a fairly concise albeit basic program utilizing a scanner object. The code is attached, and if you think it looks kind of repetitive...well it is. We're supposed to demonstrate a number of techniques. My question is a two-parter. First and foremost, where do you think a good implementation of an if-else structure would be? I was thinking of using one to provide parameters for the user inputed int for the ramCount question (if 1-6 else repeat question with additional print statement specifying the accepted int range). Second, is there anyway to restart the program based on a an if-else question at the end of the program? I have googled it quite a bit, and have seen a solutions using do-while, but I would be interested in completing it using if-else.

Thanks guys, I may be a total noob with code outside of HTML and CSS, but I'm here to learn.
    Attached Files Attached Files

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Beginner Question Regarding Nested If-Else Structure Implementation

Some contributors here will not follow links to code. Post the relevant code in CODE tags (see my sig).

First and foremost, where do you think a good implementation of an if-else structure would be?
    if-else is good wherever you need to choose between two options based on some boolean (true/false) value or expression. Some things you need to decide for yourself.

is there anyway to restart the program based on a an if-else question at the end of the program?
    If you want to give the user the choice of restarting the program or quitting, you'll need to put it in a loop so they can loop back to the start. An if-else alone won't do it. Loop structures have a termination condition, which can stop the loop, so they effectively have an if-else built in (e.g. the 'while' condition in a do-while).

If you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything...
    Anon.
    Please use [CODE]...your code here...[/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.