CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Web Config Not Cooperating

So i'm trying to take an existing HTML/CSS website and add a contact form right? I figure it would be easy but i'm having a few problems with the web config file. I keep getting a "customer errors" error when I try to view it on my server. I tried adding both code tidbits to my web config file but no luck. Any suggestions of what I can do to get around this and what I can do to avoid this problem in the future?

http://ns-llc.com/alexnodr/networksp...contactUs.aspx

Re: Web Config Not Cooperating

it's not a Customers error, but an error in the ASP page and its prompting you about a Custom Error page...

No amount of tweeking your web.config file will resolve this... It's an error in the page that you've built...

Few things..

Where did you locate the .dll part of the page?? (it should normally go into {ROOT}/Bin) and with IIS6 that is the root of the site.. and not of IIS..

IS the Application Pool setup correctly??

Dbl Check you handler mappings ( there should be none related to ASP set)..
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Well if I take a plain HTML/CSS website and open it w/ visual studio and add my webconfig file it should be fine right? Do I need to do anything special besides the ASP header <%@ Page etcetc.?

Is this for sure a server error or could it be the way im implementing my ASP.NET code? The server is hosted elsewhere and I have to go through them to figure out this problem. If it's on my side (code) then that would be amazing.

Thanks for the help suggestions btw i'll look into it in the meantime.

:/ as it turns out the servers are not "up to date" their running .net framework 2.0 - does it really make that much of a difference though?

Basic .NET framework 2.0 is VS2005 ... so if you used VS 2008 or 2010 to develop the (ASPX)page you need to ensure that the project is set to use only .NET 2.0 controls.. (My Project > Compile > Advanced compile options > Target Frame work)...

Also another Quick Question?? Does your page do any Database Query's ???.. If yes.. than that could also be the problem....
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.