CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

common pattern(s) for message router (in Java)

Hello,

would appreciate any insight into common and useful patterns that could be used in designing/implementing message router type application.
    are there common design patterns used for message "router" type problems?

Any recommendation for books.

Was thinking of buying "Enterprise integration patterns", but would appreciate any expert opinion here.

Thank you.

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: common pattern(s) for message router (in Java)

Did you try this ?

The best way to get a good idea is to get a lot of ideas...
    L. Pauling
    Please use [CODE]...your code here...[/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.

sure did, thats where I saw the "Enterprise integration patterns" in the original post. (I ain't that lazy)
    was looking for individual comments from resident experts here and maybe good books/references that others may have experienced so that I can draw up a broad and educated analysis.

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Moore View Post
    sure did, thats where I saw the "Enterprise integration patterns" in the original post.
    OK; afraid I don't have any more than what's there. When we did message routing at work, we picked a likely looking pattern, tweaked it and eventually it worked OK. However, it wasn't long before we switched to something in the Spring portfolio, I think it was (can't remember exactly, I was doing something else by then).

ETA: This sounds like it: Enterprise Messaging with Active MQ and Spring JMS. Our powers-that-be were keen to move away from home-grown solutions and towards flexible standard frameworks.

(I ain't that lazy)
    Understood. Many posters are - sometimes it feels like we're just a Google front end here. I couldn't pass up a chance to use LMGTFY

Each pattern describes a problem which occurs over and over again in our environment, and then describes the core of the solution to that problem, in such a way that you can use this solution a million times over, without ever doing it in the same way twice...
    C. Alexander
    Please use [CODE]...your code here...[/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.

I understand, the initial post was pretty light ;-). appreciate the reply. thanks.