CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Best Book/Resources To Learn Java From Basics To Advance

Hey friends,can you tell me a good book as well for Java your answers for c++ helped a lot as I know a bit of c++ so going through those books and which books are really good for java?

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Best Book/Resources To Learn Java From Basics To Advance

'Java In A Nutshell' by David Flanagan (O'Reilly books) is a good basic reference. 'Thinking In Java' is a reasonable free book to learn from, and Headfirst Java has a very good reputation. Don't forget the Java Tutorials.

To become fluent in a computer language demands almost the antithesis of modern loose thinking. It requires many interactive sessions, the hands-on use of the device. You do not learn a foreign language from a book, rather you have to live in the country for year to let the langauge become an automatic part of you, and the same is true for computer languages...
    James Lovelock
    Please use [CODE]...your code here...[/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.

Just signed up to ask this question myself. First time learning a programming language.
    Thanks for the advice dlorde.

How much time will it take for a person to learn JAVA, C#.

each skill can be mastered in 10 years.
    Also check "thinking in java" by bruce ekel. Its free on google..

How much time will it take for a person to learn JAVA, C#.
    How long is a piece of string?

It's impossible to answer your question because it depends on so many factors such as, your previous experience, your aptitude, your intelligence, the amount of effort you are willing to put in, what you want to do with the language, how the language evolves etc etc.

I've been coding in Java since 1997 and I still don't know all aspects of Java. In fact Java is expanding and diversifying at a faster rate than I can learn so I probably know a smaller percentage of the whole language + libraries than I did 10 years ago.
    Also check "thinking in java" by bruce ekel. Its free on google..
    It's here on codeguru . BTW his name is Bruce Eckel and whilst I agree it it is a good book and I've recommended it many times myself for the beginner, it's starting to show signs of age now.
    Posting code? Use code tags like this: [code]...Your code here...[/code]
    Click here for examples of Java Code