CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Setting Page file

Is there any ways I can change the virtual memory paging using MFC?

Thanks in Advance

Re: Setting Page file

Do you mean virtual memory for your process's virtual address space, or are you trying to change the system-wide virtual memory settings?
    --EJMW

Quote Originally Posted by ejmw View Post
    Do you mean virtual memory for your process's virtual address space, or are you trying to change the system-wide virtual memory settings?
    System wide virtual memory

I want to change the pagning size programmatically or remove paging. How can I accompalish this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi,

There's no API to do this, but I see that some people have reported succesfully changing the pagefile settings by editing the registry values at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PagingFiles

You'll see that this key includes the name of the paging file(s) on each drive, and the max/min sizes if specificed. The format is fairly self-explanatory.

You have to reboot the PC after doing that. You shouldn't need to create any paging files yourself since they'll be created at boot time.

I'd advise extreme caution if you try this. One thing to take care of will be to check that there is space on the drive you've chosen.

Alan