dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Monitoring User's Actions, Controls, and More

Question Monitoring User's Actions, Controls, and More

I'm currently working on a project where I need to monitor all of the user's actions. I need to monitor information such as:

-Active window (foreground) process name and window title

-Keyboard input (I believe I can use hooks for this)

-Mouse clicks (again, hooks)

-When the user clicks a mouse button or enters keyboard input, I also need to know the type of control the clicks or input is being sent to (is it a text box? check box? radio?) and the window title and process the control is contained in

-Start menu actions

-Desktop actions (for instance, when the user right clicks the recycle bin and clicks an option from the right click menu, or when a user double clicks a desktop icon)

-Explorer actions (i.e. determine which icon is clicked from the My Computer window; monitor which files or folders are being opened, etc.)

I have seen programs such as AutoIt and AHK monitor information like this via window info and "spy" tools, but I have no idea how to determine information of that nature. Tips? Suggestions? Any and all code will be helpful. Thanks!

Re: Monitoring User's Actions, Controls, and More

Oh, I forgot to mention that the goal is essentially to collect enough basic information about the user's actions and how they interact with other programs so that the user's actions could be duplicated by the program, without having to take complete control of the mouse and keyboard in a Journal Playback - style process. However I still need to keep track of all the other above listed information for other purposes, too.

Regards

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Where and how are you going to use this kind of a spy tool?
    Victor Nijegorodov

As I said, I am essentially trying to create a Journal Playback - type function without having to take full control of the mouse and keyboard. This type of monitoring should also make it easier to reproduce user input more reliably, since it takes information such as window controls into account.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Are you developing a new tool for phishing?
    Victor Nijegorodov