CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] What the heck does VC++ intend to tell me by "error MSB6003"!?

After a recent hardware crash I'm back with new hardware now and reinstalled VC++ 2010 Express from the same ISO file I used the last time. The OS still is XP Pro SP3 with the recent updates like before.

However, the freshly installed VC++ (not registered yet but I don't really think this is the cause) pigheadedly keeps spitting MSB6003 error messages at me. For instance, this (MBCS build):

Code:
    // Test3.cpp : Definiert den Einstiegspunkt für die Konsolenanwendung.
    //

#include "stdafx.h"

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
    {
      cout << "Hello World!" << endl;
      return 0;
    }
    gives me the following build output:

Code:
    1>------ Erstellen gestartet: Projekt: Test3, Konfiguration: Debug Win32 ------
    1>  stdafx.cpp
    1>C:\Programme\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Platforms\Win32\Microsoft.Cpp.Win32.Targets(57,5): error MSB6003: Die angegebene ausf&#252;hrbare Datei der Aufgabe "CL.exe" konnte nicht ausgef&#252;hrt werden. Der Vorgang ist bei einer Datei mit einem ge&#246;ffneten Bereich, der einem Benutzer zugeordnet ist, nicht anwendbar.
    1>C:\Programme\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Platforms\Win32\Microsoft.Cpp.Win32.Targets(57,5): error MSB6003: 
    ========== Erstellen: 0 erfolgreich, Fehler bei 1, 0 aktuell, 0 &#252;bersprungen ==========
    Sorry for the German messages but I didn't want to distort anything by potentially vague translations.

MSDN search or Google actually don't yield really few results on that but they apparently are either unrelated or not really informative. A forum search on CodeGuru seems to indicate that this error message is yet completely unknown here.

I'm suspecting some sort of permission issue but have no idea how to tackle it yet.

Desperately seeking any helpful comments... Even a shot into the dark might be quite helpful since I'm completely clueless how to proceed from here at the moment.
    Last edited by Eri523; May 13th, 2011 at 02:24 AM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Re: What the heck does VC++ intend to tell me by "error MSB6003"!?

Well, you can try this solution.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Re: What the heck does VC++ intend to tell me by "error MSB6003"!?

The other cases MSDN were able to find.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Resolved Re: What the heck does VC++ intend to tell me by "error MSB6003"!?

Thanks for the links Igor. Unfortunately it wasn't really as easy as the temp file name collision mentioned in the post you linked to in your post #2. Also, the error message quoted there IMO is considerably crearer than the one I got. Interestingly, the last post in that thread mentioned the TFS that I also saw mentioned in several other posts about this kind of error. However, I'm not even using something remotely similar to the TFS.

I also enabled the IDE's debug output as described in http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsproject/ar...m-logging.aspx but the vast lot of internal information I obtained that way didn't really enlight me either.

Although IMO this isn't really obvious from the error message I got (maybe due to translating the message to German by the MS people) I soon considered some other app holding a lock on the cl.exe file (or some other .exes as it turned out in the meantime) as a potential cause for the error. And that led me to putting the AV (Kaspersky 2011) which is a new version (2010 on the old system) on the list of prime suspects.

After a lot of tweaking with AV exception rules I got it working as of now and I hope this state is stable. The rule set I currently have probably contains some redundancies resulting from my experiments and I'll try to prune it to the required minimum during the next days. Unfortunately the AV's documentaion on the exact details of what these rules actually mean isn't really precise, in particular when it comes to the needs of developers.

I'll postpone marking this thread resolved until I have a stable minimal rule set (or at least something close to that) but, as I said above, at the moment it works!
    Last edited by Eri523; May 14th, 2011 at 11:13 PM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.