CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Virtual keyboard in Java

Hi,

I am working on Java application in Windows 7. Application should support touch screen and on screen key board. And need to do a on screen key board. I have no idea about it that how to do. So can you guys please help me out to do this. Any one have some idea about it. Thanks

Re: Virtual keyboard in Java

Any one have some idea about it.
    Yes I've coded an on-screen keyboard for touch screen use before, what do you need to know?

BTW what exactly are your requirements for instance is it just for typing letters and numbers or do you need a full keyboard implementation including handling Ctrl, Alt, Alt Gr, F1 - F12 etc.
    Posting code? Use code tags like this: [code]...Your code here...[/code]
    Click here for examples of Java Code

Smile Re: Virtual keyboard in Java

HI,

Thank you for your fast reply. Me too have to develop on-screen keyboard for touch screen, I need full keyboard implementation. If you could give an idea how you have done the implementation, it would be very useful for me. If you can give me some sample it would be very great full.

Just wrote you a detailed reply but it was eaten by the system (that's the second time it's happened recently) and I can't face rewriting it all now.

In brief it was:

A keyboard has essentially three separate elements:

1. The physical keys or in your case the buttons on the screen
    2. The key legend ie the text shown on the key that describes what the key does. For some keys this will never change ie ENTER, SHIFT, CTRL etc for others it depends on a number of factors such as whether or not the SHIFT key is pressed. It make things a bit more complicated the legend on these keys also depends on the keyboard layout being used for instance a German Keyboard has a different sequence of letters to a UK keyboard whereas a Thai keyboard has different letters for the same key and the letter used depends on the state of the SHIFT key.
    3. The action that occurs when a key is pressed. Some keys modify the layout ie SHIFT whereas other generate KeyEvents.

Your design needs to be flexible because whilst the buttons never change in number or layout their legends can change depending on which keyboard language layout is being used and which other keys are currently pressed.
    Posting code? Use code tags like this: [code]...Your code here...[/code]
    Click here for examples of Java Code

Hi All,

Thank you for the replies, by using Robot class I have implemented.