CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Developing for 2.0

I am developing a website that needs to run on .NET Framework 2.0 - it sucks. I am working with Visual Web Developer Express 2010 and when I try ti compile my website in Framework 2.0 I get this HUGE list of errors - I don't even know where to begin. I was wondering if I could create a website using .NET Framework 2.0 by default so this way I know what control are accepted and know what I can do/can't do with it. Any kind of tips or suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Re: Developing for 2.0

Next time you start a Framework 2 project ...
    Create your project, before you write any code, save it.. and goto...

My Project > Compile > Advanced Compile Options > Target Framework and set it at Framework 2

Now only Framework 2 controls and object will work in the project.. (all others become unavailable or will show error when you try to use it)

This avoids problems at the end...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

I tried that and it errors out even on default set up that Visual Studio Express 2010 gives you. Whenever I build a default website in 2.0 right off the bat I got a handful of errors on "Register.aspx" with the LayoutTemplate and asp:Placeholder. I guess 2.0 doesn't allow this or something i'm not sure. When i remove this section i get even more errors than I can handle...

What i'm saying is the Project was developed for Framework 4, using controls and objects not available in 2 ...

So now, If you want it to be a 2.0 Project... You have to redevelop it with only 2.0 controls, Fix the errors and remove the controls that are not available..

My previous post was how to prevent this problem in future ...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

I had tried your above solutions and it still allows me to use .NET Framework 3.5 controls. I was originally wanting to know if I could just make a default website in 2.0 - it seems all websites in VWD Express 2010 is 4.0 by default and you are suggesting I remove a bunch of controls that are not supported in 2.0. Doing that every time is a hassle seeing is there are a huge list of errors. It seems a big portion of my problems though is stemming from this register.aspx page so I'm going to look into that.