CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

what database technology and language to use?

We want to build a web-based application, where users can upload objects (photos, object profiles, some financial data) and download individualized reports (as pdf/xls) via their web-browser.
    Given the data stored is very sensitive, both database security and user management should be top notch. What`s the best database technology to use?

There will be around 500 users with 80-250 objects each. The reports require some (simple) serverside calculations and will be tricky as lots of customized charts etc will be used.

Ah well.. the system has to be performant and the user-interface/reports should be "visually appealing" ;-)

Specifically I am looking for which application server and web framework to use.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

Re: what database technology and language to use?

There is a very general Answer that is given for any question like this...

The problem is that is mostly depends on your abilities in the chosen language & framework.

It's quite pointless trying to develop in ASP if your a PHP Developer, You wont know all the possible points of attack, and possible downfalls..

And vice versa.. IE as an ASP developer, i would not try this in PHP...

Personally i'd use ASP.NET on IIS7 with SQL server 2008.. But then again i'm a Windows systems developer.. and am reasonably well studied in these technologies, and as such know how to ensure the security of these...

Go with what you know....
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.