CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Help regarding Visual Basic, Visual C++ and .NET

Well, I don't know It is the right place to ask such question or not. But as I am facing some problems to understand the concept regarding VB, VC++ & .NET

I have 3-4 months of time and I have to submitt my project for my B.Tech. I have a good knowledge of C++. Which will be easier and can be learned faster VB, VC++.
    Plz explain What is difference between VB and VC++ and .NET ? and advantages & Disadvantages of three. Which can be more useful for me. Plz help, I asked this question cause I think this is the only place where I can get expert view regarding my problem

Hope you will reply and will help me in this

Re: Help regarding Visual Basic, Visual C++ and .NET

There are not many differences between VB and C++, if C++ is used with some libraries.

The first differences are historical.
    Basic used to be a language quite different from the C language.

Other differences are that VB is supposed to be easier than C/C++.
    Basic was for beginners. This is the meaning of the letter B in BASIC.
    Basic is Bill Gates' favorite language. He programmed a game about a monkey in Basic.
    He asked his teams to develop new and better versions of the basic language. The engineers devised all sorts of loops to avoid the critiscisms about the "go to" statement which was used a lot in old Basic programs. The "variant" data type was created, etc. Basic was developed for different situations: VBA for macros in Office softwares, VBS for system and batch processing, and VB.net for internet applications and other things.

With the Basic language you don't need to declare variables (except arrays), you don't need to declare prototypes of functions, you don't need to check the boudaries of arrays, you don't have to pay attention to the difference between "=" and "==" (but I still prefer C or PHP).

Thanx for reply olivthill2. Can you plz tell me if I want to write programs like folder lock and all which includes algorithms. Which one will be preferable?

Quote Originally Posted by olivthill2 View Post
    There are not many differences between VB and C++, if C++ is used with some libraries.

The first differences are historical.
    Basic used to be a language quite different from the C language.

Other differences are that VB is supposed to be easier than C/C++.
    Basic was for beginners. This is the meaning of the letter B in BASIC.
    Basic is Bill Gates' favorite language. He programmed a game about a monkey in Basic.
    He asked his teams to develop new and better versions of the basic language. The engineers devised all sorts of loops to avoid the critiscisms about the "go to" statement which was used a lot in old Basic programs. The "variant" data type was created, etc. Basic was developed for different situations: VBA for macros in Office softwares, VBS for system and batch processing, and VB.net for internet applications and other things.

With the Basic language you don't need to declare variables (except arrays), you don't need to declare prototypes of functions, you don't need to check the boudaries of arrays, you don't have to pay attention to the difference between "=" and "==" (but I still prefer C or PHP).
    I agree that Basic is "easier" mostly. In VB you do have to declare arrays. using the Variant datatype is very very bad practice, only place where variants are actually allowed is in scripting languages. In VB you do have Subs and functions as any normal language has.

My advice would be to use the program which you are most comfortable with to develop what you need.